none
MS Project server 2010 : can open a project from server but save only locally RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody, 

I meet a problem while trying to save a project to project server 2010 : system only allow me to save locally. I can open a project from server but when doing a "save as", I have only the local disk.

I meet this trouble on my Win7 workstation. Project Pro has been installed by an admin account (my own account has no admin privileges on this W7 workstation). If i go to "options" window and in "save tab", I cannot modify the format (set to Project 2000-2003)

When i try to open a project from server and do a "save as" on my win xp workstation, it's ok... but I am local admin on this workstation. It means that my Project Server account is correctly set (I am administrator).

Any idea ?

Thanks a lot !

Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:38 AM

Answers

• Xavier --

Your problem is caused by the Save format selected in the Project Options dialog.  That option needs to be set to the Project (*.mpp) setting before you can save a project to Project Server.  If you do not have administrator permissions on your Windows 7 workstation, then get the person who installed the software to log into your workstation and change the setting for you.  There is no way to resolve this problem other than changing the setting in the Project Options dialog.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:19 PM

All replies

• Xavier --

Your problem is caused by the Save format selected in the Project Options dialog.  That option needs to be set to the Project (*.mpp) setting before you can save a project to Project Server.  If you do not have administrator permissions on your Windows 7 workstation, then get the person who installed the software to log into your workstation and change the setting for you.  There is no way to resolve this problem other than changing the setting in the Project Options dialog.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 17, 2013 1:19 PM
  • Dear Dale, 

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I've tried to login the workstation with a admin account (the same who installed Project Pro) but even with this account, the setting "Save format" is in grey, impossible to change. I've tried to launch Project with a "Run as Administrator" but with no effect.

I imagine that this problem is the inital step to resolve my "Save as" problem.

Kind regards, 

Xavier

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:27 PM
  • Xavier --

Is this setting controlled by system policies in your organization?  If so, whoever set up the system policy has set it up wrong and needs to change it.  You cannot solve your problem until you get that setting changed in the Project Options dialog.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Dear Dale, 

Team managing system policies has changed the global policy to allow changing save parameter in project options. Our problem is now solved.

Thank you very much for your advices.

Kind regards, 

Xavier

Friday, November 8, 2013 6:20 AM
  • Xavier --

You are more than welcome for the help, my friend!  :)

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, November 8, 2013 2:24 PM