Performance on Windows 7 deteriorated suddently RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am running W7 on a Lenovo S12 netbook (N270) with 2GB of RAM which has been working brilliantly for 10 months now.

As of a couple of day the performance has dropped significantly and as I was trying to figureout what was the cause I noticed that CPU utilisation is very high (often at 100%) and the System diagnostic reports shows a number of 500 events.  RAM utilisation is between 50 to 60%.

Since I haven't installed any new programmes in the last few weeks I can't figure out what caused the problem.

I have looked in task manager what are the processes that use up more resources but I am afraid I don't know enough to figure out what looks normal and what doesn't.

I really appreciate your help.

Thank you

Taronski

Saturday, August 27, 2011 4:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

For CPU high usage issue, I recommend that you may use anti-ware to scan the virus in your computer first.

According you description, the processes ---“Skype”, “Firefox” and “Plugincontainer” are not system processes. You could try to end these process in Task manager and check the result. 

Also you may perform a Clean Boot to check whether this problem is caused by any other third-party software.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

If the problem still occurs in Clean boot. You may run the Resource Monitor to check the issue:

1.	Click Start button, type Resource Monitor in the search bar, press enter.

2.	Chose the CPU tag, check the CPU status. Check Which service or process occupied volume CPU resource.

For further research, please check the process in Task Manager and collect the following DLL information via Process Explorer:

1.	Download the Process Explorer form the following :
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
    2.	Run Process Explorer, click Agree to open it.
    3.	Click View on the Tool menu, and select “Show Lower Pane”.
    4.	Click View on the Tool menu, click “Lowe Pane View”, and select “DLLs”.
    5.	Try to duplicate the problem.
    6.	Then highlight process which occupied volume CPU resource in the left pane.
    7.	Click File in the Toole menu, and then select “Save As…”.
    8.	Save “Explorer.EXE” and upload it via SkyDrive, then post a link here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:05 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:25 AM

All replies

• When the CPU utilization is high, what process(es) is/are using it (check Task Manager, sort by CPU usage).

You may not have installed software overtly, but some software can be installed just by visiting web sites.

Also, a look through your Event Logs might be useful, to see if you're accumulating failures.  Click Start and type event viewer into the search box.

If you really want to jump directly to a solution without doing much diagnosis, you might consider trying the System Restore feature to put the system back to the configuration it had a few days ago.

-Noel

Sunday, August 28, 2011 9:48 AM
  • Thanks Noel.

I sorted by CPU and this is what I got:

Taskmanager.exe

Firefox

Plugincontainer

dwm.exe

Althought they kept swapping around.

I also noticed that if I leave the netbook for a few hours it now crashes everytime and the error message is BlueScreen

Help please

Monday, August 29, 2011 6:54 PM
  • Help please 

Not sure what additional direct help anyone can give you.

Something you've installed - from the looks of things perhaps a plug-in in Firefox - is looping and writing something to the screen, but I don't know for sure.  This is just a guess based on the names of the processes you've shown.  Research each process name.  Find out what Plugincontainer is, for example.

Also keep in mind Skype by default makes you a node on their distributed network, and if you don't take measures to stop it, it will pass other peoples' conversations through your computer, using your computer resources and network bandwidth.

I'd say you need to either restore your system to an earlier date when it was working or uninstall the specific software that's causing the problem.  You have to manage your own system.

-Noel

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

For CPU high usage issue, I recommend that you may use anti-ware to scan the virus in your computer first.

According you description, the processes ---“Skype”, “Firefox” and “Plugincontainer” are not system processes. You could try to end these process in Task manager and check the result. 

Also you may perform a Clean Boot to check whether this problem is caused by any other third-party software.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135 

Note: Clean Boot is a step of troubleshooting, we can go back to normal by running MSCONIFG.

If the problem still occurs in Clean boot. You may run the Resource Monitor to check the issue:

1.	Click Start button, type Resource Monitor in the search bar, press enter.

2.	Chose the CPU tag, check the CPU status. Check Which service or process occupied volume CPU resource.

For further research, please check the process in Task Manager and collect the following DLL information via Process Explorer:

1.	Download the Process Explorer form the following :
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653
    2.	Run Process Explorer, click Agree to open it.
    3.	Click View on the Tool menu, and select “Show Lower Pane”.
    4.	Click View on the Tool menu, click “Lowe Pane View”, and select “DLLs”.
    5.	Try to duplicate the problem.
    6.	Then highlight process which occupied volume CPU resource in the left pane.
    7.	Click File in the Toole menu, and then select “Save As…”.
    8.	Save “Explorer.EXE” and upload it via SkyDrive, then post a link here.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Robinson Zhang Tuesday, September 6, 2011 7:05 AM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 8:25 AM