none
Task not rescheduling as expected RRS feed

• Question

• I am using MSOP 2010 Professional non server.

We are replanning the schedule and are reworking the resources and remaining work.  I have the tasks linked based on tasks and resource availability.  Some of the tasks will reschedule the remaining work as expected....the remaining work on the task is started after the predecessor task.  However there are a few tasks that split and start a month after the predecessor finishes.  Any ideas on what is wrong with these tasks?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Task mode is set to Auto Scheduled.

Friday, February 8, 2013 8:30 PM

All replies

• Are you using Automatic Leveling on your resources?  Are the tasks assigned to resources with non-working time in their calendar?

You might try seeing if the Task Inspector can help narrow things down.  Select the task and click the Inspect button on the Task ribbon.

Julie

Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:12 AM
  • A couple of questions to set the context:

• How are you rescheduling the tasks? Automatic leveling? Reschedule uncompleted work to finish after a given date?
    • Do any of the tasks have Actual start dates? Especially tasks that have completed tasks as predecessors?

Graham

Saturday, February 9, 2013 2:02 AM
    • How are you rescheduling the tasks? Automatic leveling? Reschedule uncompleted work to finish after a given date?

No automatic leveling is being used.

I am rescheduling some of the tasks (tasks that had some progress) and on one of the task I have entered a hard start date (no progress on this tasks).

• Do any of the tasks have Actual start dates? Especially tasks that have completed tasks as predecessors?

Yes.

These tasks, predecessor and the task that is linked to it, have progress.  Most of the tasks resume work after their predecessor task finishes.  The first tasks I noticed that I had an issue with should have resumed and completed on Feb 26.  However it pushes out to Apr 18th.   There is no lag on the predecessor.

I can't figure out why it works on some tasks but not all.  I am obviously missing something. 

Sunday, February 10, 2013 1:38 PM
  • CharlieJolene,

Any possibility that you can zip the file and email?  Without seeing the file, we'd just be guessing.  It's possible we can sort it out if we have the file. Post back if you can email and I'll post my email address.

Julie

Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:33 PM
  • New to the forum and couldn't find how to post a new thread so posting my question here.  Any suggestions regarding this issue of linking stopped tasks would be welcome.

If I have a task in the tracking Gantt that has been set stop and resume dates, can a link be created from the point of the task being stopped to another task.  For instance in a project where the client has requested a task be put on hold half way through completion and the resource be moved over to another new task which requires completion before the original can be continued.  Can this be done without having to break the original task into two separate tasks to achieve the link?

Thanks.

Monday, February 11, 2013 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

As such, the answer to your question is no, sorry.

Still, there are easy solutions to your problem. Since the stop dae of the first task is in the past, in reality the new task cannot be started before today, so setting a Start not earlier than today's date has the right effect.

Greetings,

Monday, February 11, 2013 10:06 AM