Help with Dial/Normalization/Translation rule RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

my SIP Trunk provider is sending me non-valid phone numbers {without + at start} so I defined users Line URI without + and couple of  Normalization rules to translate local area numbers to international format {421xxxyyyyyy}. All of them are defined in Global Dial Plan. Everything went OK until I needed to connect AnalogDevice with AudioCodes gateway. Then I discovered that I need to use E.164 phone numbers for correct call routing from AnalogDevice contact acrooss Lync server.

So I decided to change all Line Uri to E.164 format and translate all incoming calls. I understand normalization rules are bi-directional, for incom. and outgo. calls so I set RemovePlusFromUri to True and defined new normalization rule to add + to any call. So, in this configuration I Can dial out but Can't dial in. It end up with death-halloo tone. Now I also cannot dial AnalogDevice

At this stage I am little helpless.

Thanks for help
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Patrik,

I'ld have to see your system to be absolutly sure, but it sounds like your not (or were not) using E.164 internally. You have to understand that Lync expects all telephonenumbers to be normalized to E.164. So, what I would do is to start over from scratch and to give all users Line URIs in E.164 format and then normalize anything that isn't E.164. Then if you still have problems somewhere all you have to do is log those problems.

I hope this helps you some.

Regards,

Gerrit Deike
    Owner / Trainer (MCT) / Consultant
    nexweaver Communiation Solutions
    www.nexweaver.com
    www.uc-link.com

If you think your to small to make a differnce, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room...

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 10:55 AM
  • Hi Gerrit,

yeah, I don't use E.164 numbers internally but when I tried to set this thing up, I've converted few numbers to this format to test normalizing but lync just ignore global normalizing rule which should add + to all numbers.

Should I change numbers to valid format for all users and then try that normalizing rule?

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 11:41 AM
  • Hi Patrik,

well, again it's difficult do give you good advice without knowing your configuration, but "yes" you should configure the users to E.164. The other thing is, are you aware that if you have a Site-level Dialplan that the global Dialplan won't be applied?

If you think your to small to make a differnce, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room...

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:25 AM
  • Hi,

no, I don't have site-level dialplan, all rules are in Global.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:27 AM
  • Hi,Patrik,

Would you please elaborate more on your Lync deployment? Also you can enable Lync logging tool with selecting S4,SipStack and Mediation server on Lync FE server and Mediation server  to trace the sip log then use snooper to analyze it to get more specific information for troubleshooting.

Besides,here are some great blog posts talking about Normalization rule for your reference

http://ucken.blogspot.com/2011/01/enterprise-voice-best-practices-in-lync.html 

http://ucken.blogspot.com/2011/10/lync-normalization-rules-rcc-and-you.html

http://designinglync.blogspot.com/2011/05/lync-dial-plans-and-normalization-rules.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413082.aspx 

B/R

Sharon

Sharon Shen

TechNet Community Support

************************************************************************************************************************

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

• Proposed as answer by Sharon.Shen Thursday, May 24, 2012 9:55 AM
    • Marked as answer by Sharon.Shen Monday, May 28, 2012 2:58 AM
    Thursday, May 10, 2012 8:48 AM