NEED CRITICAL HELP With windows Start up RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to update my Windows Vista Home Premium,
    Once updates  were installed, I restarted the Laptop(Dell Inspiron) and it would not boot up, I receive a page that Says:"Windows failed to load because  a required file is missing , or corrupt .

File:ntoskrnl.exe
    Statues:0xc0000098

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

Then i did so and chdsk and  all i got was this  messege:

Windows cannot repair this computer automatically .

I have Critical informatiom on my HDD(Have just 1 drive c) so i cant format it and i have 2 secured and hidden steganos drives  so i cant  install a clean copy of  windows either (cause  all my secured data will lost) ,i cant use system restore cause it says find no restore point.....
    i tried what ever i knew but all of my effort was useless......
    plz help me .

Monday, April 14, 2008 7:12 AM

Answers

• Hi,

This issue can occur if the ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or corrupt.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

==============================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Note: If your computer is an OEM one, you may need to contact your OEM to consult how to enter WinRE.

If the issue persists, we may need to copy the ntoskrnl.exe file from another computer.

Method 2: Manually copy the missing file from another computer

1.    From another Windows Vista computer, copy the ntoskrnl.exe file to removable media such as a CD-ROM or a USB flash drive.

Note: You cannot access Windows Vista system files from the Windows Vista DVD because they are stored within a WIM file that is not accessible from within System Recovery.

2. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

4. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

5. Click Repair your computer. 

6. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

7. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Your removable media will have a drive letter, just like a hard disk. System Recovery Tools assigns hard disks letter starting with C: and then assigns letters to removable media. To identify the drive letter of your removable media, run the following commands:

C:\>diskpart

DISKPART>list volume

Volume ###      Ltr   Label               Fs        Type               Size          Status        Info

--------------     ---   ------               --         -----               -----         --------      -----

Volume 0           C     Vista                NTFS     Partition        63GB        Healthy    

Volume 1           E    Windows XP      NTFS     Partition        91GB        Healthy    

Volume 2           D                             NTFS     Partition        69GB        Healthy    

Volume 3           I                                           Removable    0B             No Media  

Volume 4           H                                           Removable    0B            No Media

Volume 5           F    LR1CFRE_EN_    UDF       Partition        2584GB    Healthy

Volume 6           G    USBDRIVE          FAT32   Partition        991GB      Healthy

5. Use the Copy command to transfer files from your removable media to the computer’s hard disk.

Can we start the computer now?

If the computer still cannot boot, I suggest focusing on recovering the important data.

Please try Step 1 to Step 7 in Method 2 again and use DOS commands to copy your important files from the computer to removable media. After that, you can restore these files to another computer. Or you can format the computer, reinstall the system and then restore these files.

Since this issue is very urgent, you can contact our Phone Support as they can provide you with immediate help.

Windows Warranty Support: (425) 635-3311 

Mon-Fri 5.am - 9.pm Pacific Standard Time 

Sat 5.am - 3.pm Pacific Standard Time 

Sun 9.am - 3.pm Pacific Standard Time 

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:06 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue can occur if the ntoskrnl.exe file is missing or corrupt.

Based on the current situation, I suggest trying the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Note: If your computer is an OEM one, you may need to contact your OEM to consult how to enter WinRE.

If the issue persists, we may need to copy the ntoskrnl.exe file from another computer.

Method 2: Manually copy the missing file from another computer

1.    From another Windows Vista computer, copy the ntoskrnl.exe file to removable media such as a CD-ROM or a USB flash drive.

Note: You cannot access Windows Vista system files from the Windows Vista DVD because they are stored within a WIM file that is not accessible from within System Recovery.

2. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

4. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

5. Click Repair your computer. 

6. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

7. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Your removable media will have a drive letter, just like a hard disk. System Recovery Tools assigns hard disks letter starting with C: and then assigns letters to removable media. To identify the drive letter of your removable media, run the following commands:

C:\>diskpart

DISKPART>list volume

Volume ###      Ltr   Label               Fs        Type               Size          Status        Info

--------------     ---   ------               --         -----               -----         --------      -----

Volume 0           C     Vista                NTFS     Partition        63GB        Healthy    

Volume 1           E    Windows XP      NTFS     Partition        91GB        Healthy    

Volume 2           D                             NTFS     Partition        69GB        Healthy    

Volume 3           I                                           Removable    0B             No Media  

Volume 4           H                                           Removable    0B            No Media

Volume 5           F    LR1CFRE_EN_    UDF       Partition        2584GB    Healthy

Volume 6           G    USBDRIVE          FAT32   Partition        991GB      Healthy

5. Use the Copy command to transfer files from your removable media to the computer’s hard disk.

Can we start the computer now?

If the computer still cannot boot, I suggest focusing on recovering the important data.

Please try Step 1 to Step 7 in Method 2 again and use DOS commands to copy your important files from the computer to removable media. After that, you can restore these files to another computer. Or you can format the computer, reinstall the system and then restore these files.

Since this issue is very urgent, you can contact our Phone Support as they can provide you with immediate help.

Windows Warranty Support: (425) 635-3311 

Mon-Fri 5.am - 9.pm Pacific Standard Time 

Sat 5.am - 3.pm Pacific Standard Time 

Sun 9.am - 3.pm Pacific Standard Time 

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:06 AM
  •  

Hi,thanks 

the"Method 2: Manually copy the missing file from another computer" helped me so i recoverd Vista and copy the data.....

then formatt hdd and install  latest Vista version plus Sp1 .

It's quite faster and .....

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 2:43 PM