Vista upgrade compatibility Issue "Daemon Tools" RRS feed

• Question

• I am having a problem with running the upgrade of XP to Vista. It continues to stop the install process with the message to uninstall "Daemon Tools". I have taken all apps out that might apply (CDClone, Nero, ISOMagic, etc) I need to know what the installation is seeing that I cannot. Is there a log file I can view that will point me in the right direction or a tool that will remove traces of the "Demon.... Daemon Tools" it is referencing? 

I have no virtual drives installed. Help!

Thanks in advance. rc

Monday, June 25, 2007 8:39 PM

All replies

• The problem is the "Virtual Drive" in Dameon Tools, also the Version thats compatible with XP, is NOT compatible with Vista.

One must remove it all, add/remove programs B4 ya can successfully install Vista.

Hope this helps.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 1:38 AM
  • I have removed all Virtual Drives, I had one. The message remains the same. Vista still sees something that I cannot, still need help.Thinks for the input.
    Friday, June 29, 2007 3:30 PM
  • Well sorry to hear ya still got problems. It still seems as if Windows is finding the "Drivers" for the "Virtual Drives" or so it thinks anyway.

OK .... well did you use Add/Remove Programs? and remove Dameon Tools, Alcohol 120% Nero, UltraISO, indeed ANY program that uses a "Virtual Drive"... if not well thats wat ya gotta do.. just "Removing" it may not clear registry entries and or remove the service or Driver from the system. Also check ya Device Manager.. perhaps a Virtual Device must be uninstalled there too? Go thru Registry remove ALL instances of Demon Tools... etc etc.

How are you "Installing" vista? Are you Booting from a DVD? or... ?

Check your services to see if any Relevant ones have been left "Active" in error..

Upgrading Vista has been a real Pain, I have done it quite a few times on Customers Machines and it can B a nightmare even when Windows Upgrade Adviser tells ya, ya all good..

Look maybe an easier way would be to siimply install another "Fresh Install" to another Drive.. or ..Partition ... or .. Location.... and simply "Migrate" ya settings and programs after...

Sometimes for whatever reason another "Copy" of a DVD burned at 1x speed can often work... dunno why ... just a fact...???

In any event see if ya can do another Full install at least that way ya gonna know what ya got IS OK... see.. and if it is .. well then press on with a "Fix"...

Anyway try some of that ... get back to the forum...
    Monday, July 2, 2007 4:58 AM
  • Try this:

Uninstall Daemon Tools, then open up a command prompt.

Type cd \windows\system32, then ren sptd.sys sptd.bak.
    Also, type cd \windows\system32\drivers, then ren sptd.sys sptd.bak, just to be sure you get all copies of it.

Then try upgrading to Vista.

For whatever reason, the driver that manages DT's virtual drives has problems with Windows Vista. You could also try upgrading to the newest version of that driver, which is available here: http://www.disc-tools.com/download/sptd . I'm currently running Daemon Tools in Vista with this new driver with no problems.

Hope that helps. I had the same problem only I didn't get a warning; it BSOD'd on me 2/3 of the way through setup.
    Monday, July 2, 2007 8:40 PM