Enable IMAP on Exchange 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I've been reviewing related topics on different forums, but cannot seem to find the answer to what I am trying to do. 

I'm running Exchange Server 2010 Standard and I need to enable the IMAP service to work with a Help Desk application we are evaluating. 

We have IMAP4 and POP3 already running, but I cannot find where I enable IMAP as I'm still fairly new to 2010 and came from a 2003 environment. 

Can someone point me to an article I can refer to or let me know how I can do this? 

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:24 PM

Answers

• Hi

Exchange can support IMAP, IMAPS, POP3 and POP3S so none of these are a problem.  You are trying to send mail though which does not use any of these protocols - you send over port 25 SMTP.

Depending on where the email needs to go to (internal/external) you either have a receive connector that accepts mail from anonymous senders (your app to internal) or one that allows relaying from anonymous (if you app sends externally).

This is a really good guide on how to configure relaying: http://exchangepedia.com/2007/01/exchange-server-2007-how-to-allow-relaying.html

Steve

• Proposed as answer by Dave Stork Monday, August 6, 2012 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by cara chen Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:15 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 8:29 AM

All replies

• Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:27 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion, but that is to enable IMAP4. I already have that running and need IMAP.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:29 PM
  • imap4 should work, have tested tbis, beside imap4 is supported. imap is legacy.

Sukh

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 6:56 PM
  • Hi Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion, but that is to enable IMAP4. I already have that running and need IMAP.

IMAP4 *is* IMAP.  Not sure what you mean that you need IMAP. NO one ever used the original IMAP and IMAP2 is 20 years ago

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:00 PM
  • I agree with the others here.  You cannot be using IMAP version 1 as it was never released.  Are you perhaps looking to use IMAP as opposed to IMAPS ie unencrypted IMAP on port 143 (instead of port 993)?

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 7:14 PM
  • Hi Everyone,

My apologies for posting what seems to be a somewhat vague post.

We are looking at installing a new Help Desk app. This App ONLY allows IMAP - 143, IMAPS - 993, POP - 110, or POP - 995 only.

We use MX Logic for our Email Protection. Relaying is turned off on our Exchange Server 2010 per Mx Logic requirements so I have a receive connector setup for MX Logic for certain other servers that require relaying email to be delivered. I.e. Scan to email printers, other application server and etc.

I thought I could just go in to that receiver and add the server that is running the Help Desk app and add the IP, but no luck. I added another connector specifically for the Help Desk and used the Exchange server IP with port 143 under “Use these local IP addresses to receive mail” and the IP of the Help Desk server under “Receive mail from remote servers that have these IP addresses….still no luck.

I even tried creating/modifying the connector for IMAPS and still noting. The vendor support stated that I have to only use the ports that the Help Desk uses.

So my question is – how can I properly allow port 143 to be accessible from the Help Desk server to the Exchange server?

I’ve reviewed what seems to be every Technet or other forum for receive connectors, but the huge variable here is that I use MX Logic.

Hope this helps.

Friday, August 3, 2012 7:45 PM
  • Hi

Exchange can support IMAP, IMAPS, POP3 and POP3S so none of these are a problem.  You are trying to send mail though which does not use any of these protocols - you send over port 25 SMTP.

Depending on where the email needs to go to (internal/external) you either have a receive connector that accepts mail from anonymous senders (your app to internal) or one that allows relaying from anonymous (if you app sends externally).

This is a really good guide on how to configure relaying: http://exchangepedia.com/2007/01/exchange-server-2007-how-to-allow-relaying.html

Steve

• Proposed as answer by Dave Stork Monday, August 6, 2012 8:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by cara chen Tuesday, August 28, 2012 9:15 AM
    Monday, August 6, 2012 8:29 AM