Web Pages Load Slowly RRS feed

• Question

• In windows 7 I have tried ie8,ie9,google chrome and firefox and I get the same results. I have DSL 6.0 mbps and pages load very slowly or not at all. I cannot download anything with either browser because it takes so long the download times out. I have tried all the microsoft fix downloads and all the suggestions in microsoft answers. I have been working on this for days and nothing works. I keep my computer fully updated, defragmented and optimized. I would truley like to know if ther is a fix for this problem with the same suggestions over and over everywhere I go.
    • Edited by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, March 17, 2012 1:34 AM Add a title to reflect question
    Friday, March 16, 2012 11:24 PM

Answers

• I would begin with the ISP's service. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the modem. Power off the modem and wait  2-3 minutes. Then power on the modem and wait long enough for the service to be re-acquired. Observe the lights on the DSL modem. Then reconnect the ethernet cable and test your internet conection.

If your problems continue, contact the ISP support have them check everything on their side. You will get the "it's your computer" routine, so just say that you've done everything they ask about and insist they reset their settings and check your cabling to the building.

Inside, you can the check the connections to the wall jacks for looseness, damaged wires etc. DSL depends on a really good physical state.

• Edited by Nano Warp Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:35 AM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:23 PM
  • DSL is not very fast, so make sure temp internet files is provisioned with lots of cache space so that it can make your browser render pages faster.

Windows MVP 2010-11, XP, Vista, 7. Expanding into Windows Server 2008 R2, SQL Server, SharePoint, Cloud, Virtualization etc. etc.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:13 AM
  • I would run the test on the DSL speed

http://www.speedtest.net/

See if the results here mach what your ISP has promissed (6 mbps)

If you get the speed they said you should have then the problem is your computer if not then it is ISP issue.

If you can try adding more RAM or run some tests to make sure you don't have a memory leak.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:58 AM
  • Sir,

Have you tried an alternate DNS server?  OpenDNS at 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 is extremely quick.  Might be worth a shot, I like 'em...but that is just what it is...my opinion.  Good luck

horatio

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:16 PM

All replies

• I would begin with the ISP's service. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the modem. Power off the modem and wait  2-3 minutes. Then power on the modem and wait long enough for the service to be re-acquired. Observe the lights on the DSL modem. Then reconnect the ethernet cable and test your internet conection.

If your problems continue, contact the ISP support have them check everything on their side. You will get the "it's your computer" routine, so just say that you've done everything they ask about and insist they reset their settings and check your cabling to the building.

Inside, you can the check the connections to the wall jacks for looseness, damaged wires etc. DSL depends on a really good physical state.

• Edited by Nano Warp Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:25 PM
    Saturday, March 17, 2012 12:23 PM
  • I would run the test on the DSL speed

http://www.speedtest.net/

See if the results here mach what your ISP has promissed (6 mbps)

If you get the speed they said you should have then the problem is your computer if not then it is ISP issue.

If you can try adding more RAM or run some tests to make sure you don't have a memory leak.

Sunday, March 18, 2012 3:58 AM
  • Sir,

Have you tried an alternate DNS server?  OpenDNS at 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 is extremely quick.  Might be worth a shot, I like 'em...but that is just what it is...my opinion.  Good luck

horatio

Monday, March 19, 2012 1:16 PM
  • Hi,

May I know this issue only occurs in this particular Windows 7 machine or in each one on your network?  If it only occurs in Windows 7, please troubleshoot the system network settings.  If not, the issue may be caused by the ISP, you may contact ISP.
    Do you have a router on your network?  Can you change the settings in the router?

Assuming that this issue only occurs in your Windows 7 machine.  Please change the adapter settings to DHCP rather than static IP address.  If you know the DNS, you’d better type it manually.

You may boot in clean boot and disable any security software or firewall.

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If this issue persists, please open an elevated command and refresh DNS and reset Winsock.
    >ipconfig /flushdns
    >netsh winsock reset

Here are two useful articles can be referred to.

Change TCP/IP settings
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-TCP-IP-settings?SignedIn=1

Setting up a home network
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Setting-up-a-home-network

Hope that helps.

• Marked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Arthur Xie Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:35 AM
    • Edited by Ivan-Liu Friday, June 8, 2012 8:15 AM
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:26 AM