none
Need a report that contains all the tasking for the month RRS feed

• Question

• I have been asked to provide a list of tasks scheduled for the month of May and Jun and for each week in May and June.

Can someone help me with this? 

• Moved by Julie SheetsModerator Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:15 PM More appropriate forum - not using Project Online
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:43 PM

All replies

• I am using project 2010 standard non server version with SP2.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:44 PM
  • Hi CharlieJolene,

I'd suggest you to use the "date range" filter, specifying may 1st and june 30th.

See reference below:

http://pm.stackexchange.com/questions/6292/microsoft-project-how-to-quick-filter-tasks-in-this-week

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 2:52 PM
  • Hello Guillaume,

Thanks for the quick reply.  Will this filter give me all tasks with any work scheduled for the month of May and June, regardless of start and finish dates?

Thanks,

CharlieJo

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:07 PM
  • Hi CharlieJo,

I would answer "YES BUT" to your question: it will not be only tasks with work in the date range but also task with no work/resources assigned. But then you can copy the date range filter creating a new custom filter, adding the condition : work different from 0, which will exclude tasks without work.

Since I don't precisely remember the behavior of this filter and I can't test it right now, I'd suggest you to test it. You'll easily confirm if the filter includes all tasks running on the period.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:14 PM
  • Maybe I should have phrased the question differently.  I just need to ensure that any task(s) that have work or are due during this period (such as milestones or tasks that run over the filtered period, such as tasks without work associated with it) will show up.  So I think from your description above that is what this filter will do.  Right?
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:17 PM
  • Again I can't test it and I don't remember exactly the behavior of this filter.

I would say yes, but just in case, you can easily test it with just a few tasks.

Hope this helps,

• Marked as answer by CharlieJolene Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:41 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by CharlieJolene Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:55 PM
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:28 PM
  • So this filter seems to do the trick.  Now how can I make a report that is usable out of this?  I need to show a list of these tasks by week.

I would assume something like:

Week ending May 18:

tasks listed here from the filter

Week ending May 25

tasks listed here from the filter

and so forth.  Does the visual reports allow for this type of filtered reports?

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 3:58 PM
  • Grouping by week will be trickier to create. It's more like an additional needs that you bring here.

Using the "group by" feature in Ms Project will be limited since a task that is running on 2 weeks must appear in 2 groups. Am I right?

I remember a similar post on this topic few weeks ago but I can't find it back... Anyway the answer was not out-of-the-box and required (as far as I can remember) somne VBA code.

Instead of building a complicated process, I'd suggest to use workarounds  such as:

• apply the filter and use the task usage view by week, so you can easily view upcoming and current tasks by week,
    • apply the filter and sort the tasks by finish dates in the Gantt Chart with a week timescale,  

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:14 PM
  • As originally stated for each week in may and june.

Yes to your question about group by.

I really need to pull this out of project and into excel if possible.  I have looked at doing a filter, flagging the week end dates and export to excel.  However this export looses the hiarechial structure of the project file and makes is almost unreadable.  My .mpp file is 2K + lines.

Maybe someone else will read this and point me to the post you mentioned.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:40 PM
  • What release of Project are you using?  If you are using Project 2010, the built-in tasks starting soon report does exactly what you need.

You can filter the list and copy/paste into Excel assuming you are using Project 2010 or Project 2013.  The copy/paste will preserve the formatting.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:17 PM
  • I am using Project 2010 standard non server SP2.

Does the tasks starting soon include work that is ongoing from previous months? Where do I find this report and can it be exported to Excel.

Thanks.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 5:57 PM
  • The Tasks starting soon report is on the Project tab, click Reports, Current.  It can be saved as a PDF by sending to a PDF printer.  It runs the Date Range Report you saw earlier.

As I noted, the other option is to apply the filter - copy/paste into excel.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 6:14 PM
  • Thanks Julie,

Not the answer I was hoping for but will cut the time I spend researching this.

Looks like this would be a great report for MS to consider providing as part of the reports to excel option.  You would think that these usage views would be a standard report consideration.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:24 PM
  • The usage views (Resource Usage and Task Usage) are available as Visual Reports which export the data to an Excel Pivot table.

It didn't sound to me like you were looking for timescaled data.  Have you looked at any of the Visual Reports?  For example, the Cash Flow Report can be modified to show tasks and work per week (or month). Run the report picking weeks or Months as the time frame.  Once in Excel - move Tasks pivot table field from Filter to Row and move the Calendar pivot table field from Row to Filter.  Turn off Cost data and select Work.

You may now filter by week or month(s) and show which tasks have work (and how much) during that time frame.

Perhaps if you let us know more about what you want/need in the report - we could be more helpful.
    Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:58 PM