none
Greyed Out Text Field in Resource RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to put in a lookup text field that categorizes my resources. However, when trying to use the field, it is greyed out. I would try pasting an option, which would trigger the dropdown for that resource; however, after saving, it would disappear. Please help.
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:29 PM

All replies

• HR_1 --

It would help if you would tell us what version of Microsoft Project you are using.  2010, 2013, or 2016?  It would also help if we knew whether you software is updated with the latest Service Packs and Cumulative Updates.  Please let us know that information.

Without knowing your version, let me suggest a few things to try:

1. Click the Project tab to display the Project ribbon.  In the Properties section of the ribbon, click the Custom Fields button.  In the Custom Fields dialog, select the Resource option at the top, then select the Type value.  I assume the Type is Text since the field has a lookup table.  Do you see your custom Resource field listed?  If so, select it.  Do you see that the Lookup is selected?  If so, click the Lookup button.  Have you entered at least one lookup table value?  If not, enter some values.  Click the Close button and then click the OK button to close the dialogs.
    2. Apply the Resource Sheet view and then double-click the name of a resource.  In the Resource Information dialog, click the Custom Fields tab.  Do you see the custom Resource field listed with a lookup table pick list?  If so, click the pick list arrow button for that field.  Does it allow you to select a value?  If so, select a value and click the OK button.

Please let us know the results of the above two experiments.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:15 PM
  • This is project 2016.  There are currently five values on the lookup table. The custom field does appear on the resource information dialog, but it does not have a dropdown arrow. I recreated it again as an enterprise field, where it allows for a drop down, however, once I save, publish, and reopen the project, values disappear.

• Edited by HR_1 Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:45 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2016 1:43 PM