Instructions for converting from POP3 to IMAP in Outlook 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using Outlook a POP3 Google Apps (Gmail) account for a long time.  I have never used IMAP but am intrigued by the synchronization that accompanies IMAP.  Since I often use my email from the Gmail web app away from my Outlook installation, IMAP seems like the way to go.  So I would like to convert my existing POP3 account to an IMAP account. 

1- Can you point me to step-by-step instructions on how to do this?

2 - Will all my PST folders and email automatically sync to the Gmail servers?

3 - what problems can I expect to encounter and how do I avoid them?

Thanks for your time and advice.

M

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:26 AM

Answers

• No, you cannot "convert" an account from POP3 to IMAP.

You'll need to remove the current POP3 account (this will not delete any data) and then add the IMAP account. This will create an additional folder set which is required for the synching of the IMAP account (it will mimic the folder structure of the IMAP account).

If there are messages in your local folder which are not on the IMAP server, you can move them manually to a folder in the IMAP account.

Before you start to reorganize your data, it is recommended that you start with a good backup of your Outlook data so that you can easily restore it in case something goes wrong. For instructions see;
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Sunday, December 18, 2011 1:50 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:02 PM

All replies

• No, you cannot "convert" an account from POP3 to IMAP.

You'll need to remove the current POP3 account (this will not delete any data) and then add the IMAP account. This will create an additional folder set which is required for the synching of the IMAP account (it will mimic the folder structure of the IMAP account).

If there are messages in your local folder which are not on the IMAP server, you can move them manually to a folder in the IMAP account.

Before you start to reorganize your data, it is recommended that you start with a good backup of your Outlook data so that you can easily restore it in case something goes wrong. For instructions see;
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Sunday, December 18, 2011 1:50 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:02 PM
  • I have a question re this process.  Say I copied my pst files from my Pop3 account to a location on my drive. Then I deleted my pop3 accounts and recreated them as imap accounts.  Then I imported my pst files back into the new imap accounts  Would imap sync up the email and folders I have on my local PC with that which is on the IMAP server on the web? I have a somewhat unusual situation where various uses have imap and pop3 accounts setup on various devices and some of the machine with pop3 accounts in Outlook have the  "delete mail after 14 days.  So would copying the pst files back into the new imap accounts upload those emails that were deleted after 14 days back to the IMAP server on the web?

Friday, July 18, 2014 6:11 PM