Dual boot Vista to Xp RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, i've spent my fair share of time trying to find answers to this simple question.

I have presently installed Vista 64bit Ultimate edition and have been running it for some time now.  I have some software that needs windows XP and I would like to install it via dual boot.  I've learned by trying that its not possible to do this after Vista has been install.  Perhaps someone here can detail out some direction for me on how to do this.  My need is simple, I just want to slave a XP install to my vista installation.  I want to do this on a seperate hard drive from Vista.  How do I do this from Vista?
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:21 AM

Answers

• Hi jc49erfan,

Thank you for your post.

Please understand that Vista uses different startup files and procedures so it is expected that the original Vista system cannot be booted if you install a new dual boot XP system. If you would like to install XP on another partition, please do that first. After that, XP will boot but Vista not. However, we can try the following method to make Vista work again:

1.      Insert the Vista disk into DVD-ROM.

2.      Click Start, click Accessories, right-click the command-prompt shortcut, and then click Run as Administrator.

3.      Type the following command at a command prompt and press Enter:

Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Note The boot folder for this step is on the DVD drive.

4. type the following commands at a command prompt and press Enter.

Note In the commands below, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is installed.

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /create {ntldr} /d "Windows XP"

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=x:  (Note: x: is the drive letter for the active partition. For example, if XP is installed on C drive, device partition=c: )

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} path \ntldr

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /displayorder {ntldr} /addlast

3. Restart the computer.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Vista Forum Support Professional

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi jc49erfan,

Thank you for your post.

Please understand that Vista uses different startup files and procedures so it is expected that the original Vista system cannot be booted if you install a new dual boot XP system. If you would like to install XP on another partition, please do that first. After that, XP will boot but Vista not. However, we can try the following method to make Vista work again:

2.      Click Start, click Accessories, right-click the command-prompt shortcut, and then click Run as Administrator.

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is located.

Note In the commands below, Drive is the drive where Windows Vista is installed.

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=x:  (Note: x: is the drive letter for the active partition. For example, if XP is installed on C drive, device partition=c: )

3. Restart the computer.

For more information, please refer to the following article:

Windows Vista no longer starts after you install an earlier version of the Windows operating system in a dual-boot configuration

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919529/en-us

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, October 29, 2007 9:45 AM
  • hmm oh wowies....Vista to Xp huh? There are programs for it but it might be a hassle.

1. Make a BACKUP!!!!!!!! (if you are ever trying anything crazy).

2. wowies, umm let me see here...umm there's a free program that does allow you to dual boot from another operating software to another operating software but I forgot lol...but it has something to do with linux so becareful though, if you use the linux software on any microsoft, you BETTER know how to operate LINUX!!!.

3. Lets see here....I've never dual booted Vista with Xp, I've dual booted XP and Vista though. That was a success.

4. I have some solutions but for now, I'm kind of busy playing some online game call Runescape..lol sorry.. umm yeah this is a common way some people dual boot.

5. Dual boot XP and another XP, then upgrade one XP to Vista.

6. Now you can use that backup that you did and put it on the new Vista that you have just installed. [=

lol if you got more question then reply back...

Cheers....Kouie

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 12:43 AM
  • Hi Kouie,

This is an expected behavior and can be resolved.

Let me explain more.

The boot tool of an operating system is back-compatible. Like 98 and XP, if we install 98 and then XP, no issue will be encountered. However, if we install XP first and then 98, 98 may be unable to start. The same issue can occur on XP and Vista. If we install XP first and then Vista, as the boot tool of Vista is back-compatible, both Vista and XP will start. However, if we first install Vista and then XP, the boot tool of XP will replace that of Vista and it is incompatible with Vista. Therefore, Vista will not boot.

If you install XP after Vista and Vista does not start, please refer to my previous reply in this thread to resolve this issue. 

If anything is unclear, please let me know.

Hope it hleps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Thursday, November 1, 2007 5:57 AM
  • Tim,

I just purchased a Compaq Presario SR5110NX, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ with Windows Vista Home Basic.  All the programs I use are old with one of them being Paradox 4.0 for DOS, 1992 vintage!.  I am a salesman and this machine is used for that purpose, no gaming or heavy graphics.  Currently I used Windows XP and everything works fine.

Would I be able to reformat and do a clean install of Windows XP Home Upgrade with out any problems using my Windows 98SE CD as the proof of previous ownership?  If this is would be difficult would it be better to install the Windows XP Home in a dual boot mode?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Thursday, November 22, 2007 2:18 AM
  • Thanks Tim,

Your dual boot fix for a system with Vista and adding XP worked like a charm. Saved me 30 bucks on a boot mgr.

Thursday, November 22, 2007 6:12 AM
  • Tim,

I did that, but vista boots ok while the xp doesn't. I installed vista first and then xp in a separate drive. Then, I did the fix you suggested. When choosing XP, it has an error showing \ntldr folder. The boot.ini in the vista's drive did point to the right XP drive though. Also, I can change the boot.ini even though it shows that I have full control over that file. It said it can't be created even when I chose to replace the existing one. On this count, I really liked the old XP and hate vista!

Thanks,

Isabelle 

Monday, December 3, 2007 4:12 PM
  • I have this problem too, after trying to make a dual xp-vista boot on my hp compaq presario notebook that came preloaded with Vista Home Premium.  Vista is installed on C:, and D: is all the Vista install files so that a dvd wasn't necessary (and I already had to use it once to reinstall my system since it originally crashed several times a day).  So I installed XP on a new partition F:, followed Tim's directions here to get Vista booting correctly, but now I have the same problem Isabelle does, XP can't boot because of \ntldr.  It recommends repairing XP with the disk's Recovery Console, but when I tried to do that it asks if I want to do the repair on C: (where vista is) or D: (where vista's install is) and doesn't present the option of repairing F: at all!

So is there another way to repair XP, or perchance is the Recovery Console skipping over my real D: (since it appears exactly as the install DVD would) and is calling the F: drive D:?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Jeremy

Thursday, December 13, 2007 2:49 PM
  • Whoops, looks like i missed this reply!  Thank you for your post Tim.  I'll give it a shot.  I am, however considering just starting fresh, but I'll give this a shot on a test platform before I do it on my official setup.

I would rather than use a second partition on the same drive, would prefer to do this on a seperate hard drive slaved in.  Is this proceedure different, or does vista only reconize this by drive ID?  Before I spend a ton of time trying this out, I want to make sure your directions work for a slaved drive with its own partition.  If I read your directions properly, it would appear as though we're talking about 1 drive (no slaves) with seperate partitions, which if the case, put an entire new scenario to the picture!  Smile

Also, for experience trying this for several hours, I've learned that if you partition a slaved hard drive using Vista then XP will not work.  Apparently the partitioning setup for XP partitions differently.  You'll notice the difference between the 2 types.  Vista doesn't leave the extra small unpartitioned space on the drive like XP does.  For the person above trying this on his laptop, I'd recommend you partition/format that seperate drive via XP then try out the steps Tim posted.  I did a single install of XP on a partitioned drive by Vista without any intention of dual booting, just wanted to utilize all space on the drive that Vista provides and the install went fine on the intitial install, but when setup tried to load upon reboot it didn't work.  Tried several times with no sucess.  So I re-partitioned using XP's setup and everything worked perfectly.  This may be the problem to the laptop issue!

Thursday, December 13, 2007 7:49 PM
  • Alright I found the solution for my problem (not being able to boot XP due to missing ntldr after installing XP beside Vista, and then following Tim's instructions on how to boot vista again).  While in Vista I copied ntldr and boot.ini from Vista's root folder to XP's root folder.  Now I can boot Vista or XP just fine with the boot manager at startup.

So for others wanting to make a dual XP/Vista system who are starting with only Vista and do not wish to have to reformat it, do the following:

1.  Shrink a current partition to get unused space using Vista's Disk Management tool.

2.  Install XP into the unused space.

3.  At this point you can only boot into XP.  Follow Tim's instructions from above:

In this command, Drive is the drive where the Windows Vista installation media is

located.

Drive:\Windows\system32\Bcdedit /set {ntldr} device partition=x:  (Note: x: is the drive letter for the

active partition. For example, if XP is installed on C drive, device partition=c: )

5. Restart the computer.

4.  Now you are booted into Vista and cannot boot XP due to missing ntldr.  Showing hidden and system files (folder options) look in Vista's root (probably C: ) and copy the files "ntldr" and "boot.ini" and paste them into XP's root (D:, E:, F:, whatever it may be)

5.  Now when you start your computer you should be able to successfully boot in either Vista or XP.

Friday, December 14, 2007 3:53 AM
  • Hi, I have already partitioned my hard drive and currently have Vista Home Premium installed on it but when i try and install XP it gets as far as the screen where you press "enter" to setup XP and "F3" to quit and "r" to repair but for some reason I cant press enter to carry on the installation of XP and was wandering if anyone had any ideas why this is happening, thanks.
    Friday, December 28, 2007 3:38 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Would I be able to reformat and do a clean install of Windows XP Home Upgrade with out any problems using my Windows 98SE CD as the proof of previous ownership?

-  Yes, you would be able to do a clean install.

You might want to do a LLF (Low Level Format) beforehand, but that would be optional.

Take care,

Sam

Monday, March 3, 2008 10:15 PM
  • Hi Tim,

I installed xpsp2 on one partition and attempted to install vista on a second partition on the same harddrive.  After the first installation stage and reboot, Vista installation was unable to proceed.  It stated that there was an error and the installation could not continue.  I attempted a repair and it did not work.  It appeared that Vista had confused matters and thought it was installed on the same drive letter as xp... Strange, since all KB articles say that Vista is backward compatible with XP in dual boot situations.  Needless to say this has wasted countless hrs of my time.  Also, tried to shrink the xp installation partition using the shrink command while booting from the Vista DVD and that was not successful either.  There was an access denied error.  Would definitely appreciate your help and perhaps an explanation of what is going on.  Seriously do not have more time for Windows not working right..

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 1:54 AM
  • Because there are some things that XP is better suited for, I'm going to try dual-booting my Vista Home Premium PC. I'll post my results here - hopefully all positive?

Wish me luck!

Saturday, May 3, 2008 8:57 PM
  • I did this on my own not realizing it was the way to do it I have 3 80gig Maxtors 2 are sata and in a Raid 0 Array. I installed WinXPpro Sp-3 after using Maxblast 5 to format the drives.worked great this was on a 1 partition disc.0 array then I used my Maxblast 5 disc to copy from C:
    to disc E:  Disc E is the 80 gig IDE master , I installed Vista Prem on it with a 1 partitionI just wanted to do a upgrade but it said no and erased my files so I had a clean install. in the boot section after the install it would give me a choice of  installing winxp or winxp. after I installed win Vista prem .. it showed Old operating system and Vista as the choice . I could pick either and they would boot ok.. with no problems..  I don't know what this Nvidia Boot Agent 240.0532 is that showed up in my boot choices in Bios, I disabled it but it returns each time..  so even using a raid 0 array and a IDE paraell Hard drive it worked fine
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 3:54 AM
  • Kouie,

You may be right, but sounding like a sarcastic 6th grader with a superiority complex isn't the way to gain the respect you seem to desire.

Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:46 AM
  • My new HP Pavillion dv6000 is configured the same way.  However, XP install lets me click "install" but comes up with an error dialog box that says XP install has been blocked from running due to a compatibility issue stating that a newer version of windows is installed.  The only option is to exit. ????????????????

Thursday, May 22, 2008 9:14 AM
  • Typically, you will see this type of message when trying to install any version of an OS that is older than your existing one under either of the following conditions:

1. You are trying to install the older version on the same partition as the newer version - not gonna happen.

2. You are trying to install the older version to another partion while running the GUI of the newer version. You must boot with the older OS installation media and run its "DOS"-based installation procedure.

Basic procedure:

Ensure that you have at least the vital drivers on media that you can read with the older OS using only Windows generic drivers.

If your install destination partition is on a RAID or non-standard drive controller, you will either need to a) slipstream the appropriate drivers into the OS installation media, or b) have the drivers (only) on a floppy disk that can be read by pressing the F6 key when prompted at the bottome of the installation screen during the first few seconds (see note * below). Many PCs and Servers don't have a floppy drive, so I bought a USB floppy drive from a local computer/office supply store (Staples, in my case) which allows floppy function without tearing the case appart and all the other problems associated with it.

It's best if your install destination partition is clean and you select the "long" partition format during the install process.

Expect that you won't be able to immediately boot to Vista with jumping through other "hoops".

Please respond if you need more detail.

(Note * - Come on MS - please get your act together and expand the F6 functionality to allow reading storage media other than just floppy disks - no longer a current hardware standard.)

Thursday, May 22, 2008 3:09 PM
  • I don't know what I did wrong but using two HD's I know you  can't do on a Note book .. I am happy with my set up I reworked it by dropping raid . I installed Vista first. after a clean format. If you have a upgrade disc you can install another os first then use the upgrade disc.. after installing all the drivers I next chose Disc D: and installed Xp and installed all the drivers for that OS. Now at Boot up I am asked to chose between Vista or the older Windows. I seem to chose XP most of the time. I can drag and drop downloaded files to either C: or D: as long as they are for that OS. Gaming was a problem with Vista I downloaded Cryis Demo and Vista would not show a Icon or list it in Programs. so I took the installer and dropped it into The D drive with xp and it installed correctly. It is constantly showing me Graphic Card driver problems in Vista but the latest drivers are installed from Nvidia. I like having the XP backup or else I would not be able to play my old favorites Doom 3, Quake 4 and Farcry.. There is only one Partition on each 80 gig drive.. Now I am ready to buy larger Hd's either 350's or 500 GIG . really I don't need a terabite of space..I am too old to ever fill it. Hope this helps..
    Thursday, May 22, 2008 4:01 PM
  • I have followed all of instructions regarding dual booting vista with xp with vista being installedl first. Vista is installedl on my c: drive and xp is installed on d: drive. I can not get past the command that ends in: device partition=x . The command prompt keeps telling that there is no such command. What am I doing wrong ?

Monday, June 16, 2008 11:28 PM
  • Hello all!

For all who have Vista already installed and want to dual boot with XP!
    After 24 hours of trial and error I succesfully dual booted my laptop.
    I will briefly describe how i did it in the following post.

Couple of warnings before starting:

- I use Vista Home Premium (which was preinstalled on my laptop)
    - You can't have more than 4 primary partitions

So my proccedure as follows:

1. I formated the recovery partition (Paragon partition manager) and added the extra space to Vista partition
    2. I made another partition by shrinking the Vista partition (the new partition was 20 GB big and  was also primary)
    3. I downloaded the SATA drivers for my laptop (offical manufacturer website) and integrated them (since i don't have floopy
        drive) to my XP boot disk, using Nlite (freeware) - you can find the proccedure for this on the web easily
    4. I restarted my computer, booting from CD (Windows XP)
    5. I followed the installation process...
    6. After installing and rebooting to Windows XP (only option so far) i restarted computer again with Vista DVD (i borrowed it
       from a friend, since I only got recovery DVD) - I think you can get free ISO image for startup repair on the internet
       (neosmart.net)
    7. I launched "repair you computer" and then "startup repair" and followed instructions
    8. After this my computer booted to Vista

9 . Follow the instruction already posted here!!!

3. Restart the computer.

10. After restarting and again booting to Vista, I took my XP CD and searched for NTLDR (on the CD)

11. I then copied this NTLDR to the root folder of XP partition (directly to C: or D: or whatever your XP partition is)!!!

12. Restart and see both OS to choose from

Everything works so far!!!

Hope i helped a bit, best regards

K

P.S.: Ray Wood -> did you forget to add ":" at the end (and you have to replace "x" with the partition, where XP are

installed...

Thursday, June 19, 2008 9:55 PM
  • (I though this deserved a new post!)

Just one short question...

What about BIOS drivers when running dual boot?
    Which to update (or not update at all) - Vista or XP?

Thanks,

K
    Friday, June 20, 2008 12:13 AM
  •  

I installed Vista Vista onto a clean partion after having XP up and running. I was dual booting fine and then after a windows update by ability to boot to XP just stopped working. I get the Vista Boot Utility, I can still boot to Vista but when I select Legacy OS, I get the old Boot.ini menu that counts down and then when it gets to 0 it just stays there, no error message or anything.

I have used VistaBootPro to point to boot path explecitely but I get the XP boot menu that just counts down and dies.

I used ghost to reimage the sysem and set the disk bootable. it worked fine for a couple of weeks, I lost the Vista boot menu and then after a couple of windows updates I am back at the same problem.

I can get to the boot to the menu but XP will not boot. How do I see what happening?

Any suggestions,

Thanks,

Steve

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 1:38 AM
  • I get no boot copy at all,I get nothing,I need a boot cd, to wipe out adeferent pc,I need it to go to DVD righter.

Saturday, August 30, 2008 11:11 AM
  • TO:  Tim Quan  OR  anyone else who can update me

I just purchased a Compaq Presario SR5610F, AMD Athlon X2 4800 with Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1.  I still have my old PC that runs on Windows XP with Service Pack 3.  I am very comfortable with XP as an operating system and all my existing software works okay with XP.  At the present time, with the software I am currently running, I do not want to migrate to Vista (not yet).

The technical support person at the store I purchased my new PC said that a free download of an earlier Windows operating system (i.e., XP) is available for me since I had just purchased a new licensed version (i.e., Vista) with my new PC.  The purpose for me getting this download of a prior operating system is so I can have my new PC boot with XP, at least until the time I want to migrate to Vista.

Is such a free XP download available .....and how would I get it ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    David-M

Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:14 AM