none
Marking tapes for offsite RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We run a 6 month retention policy on our tapes. We run a backup every night.

On the 1st day of each month I want to have a retention policy off 99 years, or at least a long time. Basically these tapes are never reused and we go back to these if we are asked for a restore outside our 6 month retention policy.

The problem I have is, I want to mark these tapes as off site immediately after they have been written. I really want to do this with my 6 month retention as well. I am happy for tapes to be marked as off site 2 days after they were written to.

I know they're some settings to set this, but it is complex and depends on the length of the retention time. This means that I will be changing the settings for all sets of tapes. I would prefer to just set mark as off site after 2 days so we can still use co-location as well. I would be happy to do this manually in future releases of Data Protection Manager.

Any tips would be most welcome.

Best wishes

Michael

Monday, December 20, 2010 7:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Offsite ready is just a visual way for DPM to tell you that the tape will no longer be written to until all recovery points expire. That really helps customers with small capacity tape libraries so they know which tapes to remove and insert new or return expired tapes (based on due back or over due tapes listed in the tape status report) so DPM can continue doing backups and not run out of free tapes.  Since offsite ready is based on a percentage of the retention period, if you have multiple retention periods, no single value for the TapeWritePeriodRatio will give you the absolute 24 hours you desire.  As long as you do a library inventory after removing / changing tapes in the library, DPM should not care if tapes that are not yet marked offsite ready are removed. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, December 31, 2010 11:17 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As noted the TapeWritePeriodRatio is a global and effects all PG's and long term backup jobs based on retention period, so we don't have the granulal control you desire in the product today.  I believe we're planning on enhancing the co-location code in the next release.  With that said, nothing prevents you from removing the tape from the library after the backup completes if you want to take it offsite.  DPM will know it's not in the library and will grab a new free tape when the next monthly tape backup job starts.   If you wanted, you can remove the monthly tape after the backup completes on the 2nd and then return it to the library on the 30th so DPM can continue to use it until it's filled, and at that time, it will be marked offsite-ready. 

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, December 30, 2010 7:36 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the information. I was told it wasn't a good idea to remove tapes that weren't ready for off-site, bit I am happy to do that and not even bring them back for the next month. I happy for all tapes to be marked off site after 24 hours. Can I not change the global setting to do this for all PG's?

Manually marking tapes as off site would certainly a feature I would like to see. Thanks for your help. Have a happy and successful 2011.

Best wishes

Michael

Friday, December 31, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Hi,

Offsite ready is just a visual way for DPM to tell you that the tape will no longer be written to until all recovery points expire. That really helps customers with small capacity tape libraries so they know which tapes to remove and insert new or return expired tapes (based on due back or over due tapes listed in the tape status report) so DPM can continue doing backups and not run out of free tapes.  Since offsite ready is based on a percentage of the retention period, if you have multiple retention periods, no single value for the TapeWritePeriodRatio will give you the absolute 24 hours you desire.  As long as you do a library inventory after removing / changing tapes in the library, DPM should not care if tapes that are not yet marked offsite ready are removed. 

Friday, December 31, 2010 11:17 PM