none
Remove network drives automatically

Question

• Hello,

if the client is not in the company network (without VPN), the network drives should be removed automatically from the explorer. Is there a setting in the group policy which I will need to set to achieve that the network drives are only listed in the explorer, when the company network is available?

The setting "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" is enabled. It should also be enabled for clients, when they are in the company network.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 9:15 AM

Answers

• The only setting relating to mapped drives and detection to see if you are on network is offline folders.

It swaps between online and offline depending on if server hosting files is available using the Sync engine.

Your problem calls for a custom Windows service that remove and add drives based on connectivity

• Marked as answer by -honeybee- Sunday, March 29, 2015 1:25 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2015 10:49 AM

All replies

• Hi there,

I think you can achieve this (or something similar) by using GPP Drive Mapping with Item Level Targeting based on IP Address Range.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015 9:35 AM
  • Hi,

thanks for your answer. Unfortunately it is not the best solution. I tried it with WMI filters, but it did not work. The network drives were still shown as disconnected.

I also noticed that group policys may only work, when the company network is available. When I created an entry to delete a network drive to check the effect, I realized that the network drive will only be removed, when the company network is available.

Is there another idea?

Friday, February 20, 2015 9:20 AM
  • The only setting relating to mapped drives and detection to see if you are on network is offline folders.

It swaps between online and offline depending on if server hosting files is available using the Sync engine.

Your problem calls for a custom Windows service that remove and add drives based on connectivity

• Marked as answer by -honeybee- Sunday, March 29, 2015 1:25 PM
    Friday, February 20, 2015 10:49 AM