AppV Deployment Strategy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi AppV experts, We are running Java based window client application with embedded DB (Apache Derby). The following is the directory structure

Root

-----App

-----DB

----JRE

Although I have managed to separate JRE and installed as a separate AppV package and connected the APP using connection group, I am puzzled how to proceed with Derby.

In normal (non-appv) world, Our Derby DB shall be installed with initial data set and during upgrade process we shall only update app folder with new JARs without touching DB folder content.

We are attempting to simulate same in AppV environment.

It appears to me that AppV management Server only allows to upgrade entire package only, Not selective folder. 

Is there a way in AppV publishing, we can update only particular folders without touching DB folder.

Note: I have packaged DB and App Folder together. I tried to separate however Apache Derby doesn't supply an MSI file

Any help would be appreciated

Regards

AR

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 4:33 AM

All replies

• First - Updating the package isn't that hard.  You open the old package up for upgrade, get into monitoring mode, copy the new files in, and save it off.

But if you don't want to do that, you can use the sequencer Expand-AppVSequencerPackage on the old package to bring it back onto the sequencer system, then start the sequencer with a new package and copy the files into that.  Then you would use a connection group with the old and new package, making sure the new package is layered over the old package (meaning that the priority number of the new package is a lower number).

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "PowerShell with App-V 5 (5.1 Edition)", "The Client Book (4.x)" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Saturday, November 4, 2017 12:47 AM