Why Norton Security is not compatible with Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Norton setup security in my Windows 10 PC after 1 month ago but now i am facing a huge problem because unable to receive windows 10 insider updates. Someone told me that you won’t be able to try new updates and features that Microsoft is planning to introduce.
    Wednesday, May 29, 2019 6:32 AM

Answers

• Hi 

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. 

Norton Security has already caused a huge problem with Windows 10 users, like that preventing them from upgrading to Windows 10. Norton Security is not working with the Windows 10 Insider program, so you are not able to download Insider updates while having Norton Setup installed. 

Norton Antivirus Security works good with non-Insider version, so if you want to continue using Windows 10 with Norton just leave the Insider update program. The only one solution completely uninstall Norton Security from your Windows 10 and install Norton 360 with LifeLock select and any other Antivirus program in your windows PC. 

Steps to install Norton 360 in your Windows 10 PC

1. Download the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool 
    2. Restart your Laptop/PC in the Advance menu by Press and hold Shift and click on Restart 
    3. Click on Startup settings and then Restart your device
    4. After that choose Safe Mode and Run the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool 
    5. Go to C:Program Files and Delete the Norton folder by pressing Shift key + delete button 
    6. Restart your device and download the Norton 360 Antivirus from its Norton's Official website (After purchased the security you will receive a product key on your registered email)
    7. To download the Setup file you have to visit norton.com/setup and log in to your account
    8. Enter your product key to download the Norton 360 setup file
    9. After downloaded, double click on the file to Run it and then click on install
    10. When the installation completed your product will be activated automatically and you will be able to get windows 10 updates time to time.

If you want to continue being part of Insider program, then you’ll have to uninstall Norton Security and switch to Norton 360 with Lifelock antivirus program by following these simple steps. I suggest you please use Windows Defender, it will definitely protect your devices from malicious attacks and by using this you never get updating issues in the future.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Hi David, 

It is not rare that some antivirus software will prevent from installing Windows update in standard Windows version or Windows insider build. Also I have heard that Windows 10 insider will affect Norton performance on PC. 

At first for troubleshooting, please check the existing system build. Please run 'winver" in run box and check the build number. As my know, the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18908 (20H1) has been released on May 29.

Try to check if it is available to get Windows update after uninstall Norton security.

If it is available to get Windows Update through Settings\Update & Security\Windows Update after uninstall Norton security, I would recommend to uninstall it or stop using insider build to try standard Windows system to check the issue again.

As it is related with the structure of Norton and Windows, I recommend to feedback the issue to Microsoft through build in application "Feedback Hub" and Norton support. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:22 AM

All replies

• Hi 

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. 

Norton Security has already caused a huge problem with Windows 10 users, like that preventing them from upgrading to Windows 10. Norton Security is not working with the Windows 10 Insider program, so you are not able to download Insider updates while having Norton Setup installed. 

Norton Antivirus Security works good with non-Insider version, so if you want to continue using Windows 10 with Norton just leave the Insider update program. The only one solution completely uninstall Norton Security from your Windows 10 and install Norton 360 with LifeLock select and any other Antivirus program in your windows PC. 

Steps to install Norton 360 in your Windows 10 PC

1. Download the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool 
    2. Restart your Laptop/PC in the Advance menu by Press and hold Shift and click on Restart 
    3. Click on Startup settings and then Restart your device
    4. After that choose Safe Mode and Run the Norton Remove and Reinstall Tool 
    5. Go to C:Program Files and Delete the Norton folder by pressing Shift key + delete button 
    6. Restart your device and download the Norton 360 Antivirus from its Norton's Official website (After purchased the security you will receive a product key on your registered email)
    7. To download the Setup file you have to visit norton.com/setup and log in to your account
    8. Enter your product key to download the Norton 360 setup file
    9. After downloaded, double click on the file to Run it and then click on install
    10. When the installation completed your product will be activated automatically and you will be able to get windows 10 updates time to time.

If you want to continue being part of Insider program, then you’ll have to uninstall Norton Security and switch to Norton 360 with Lifelock antivirus program by following these simple steps. I suggest you please use Windows Defender, it will definitely protect your devices from malicious attacks and by using this you never get updating issues in the future.

Wednesday, May 29, 2019 12:25 PM
  • Hi David, 

It is not rare that some antivirus software will prevent from installing Windows update in standard Windows version or Windows insider build. Also I have heard that Windows 10 insider will affect Norton performance on PC. 

At first for troubleshooting, please check the existing system build. Please run 'winver" in run box and check the build number. As my know, the latest Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18908 (20H1) has been released on May 29.

Try to check if it is available to get Windows update after uninstall Norton security.

If it is available to get Windows Update through Settings\Update & Security\Windows Update after uninstall Norton security, I would recommend to uninstall it or stop using insider build to try standard Windows system to check the issue again.

As it is related with the structure of Norton and Windows, I recommend to feedback the issue to Microsoft through build in application "Feedback Hub" and Norton support. 

Bests, 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:22 AM