none
Data Protection Manager 2010 unable to protect 2003R2 protected servers? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm using Data Protection Manager 2010 with Client Version 3.0.7706 which is installed on Windows 2008 R2 non-SP1, and while I am able to install the client directly from the management mmc, I am not able to configure protection for servers running Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 Enterprise or Standard.

    Yes, the servers were rebooted, and the status shows up as OK from the management pane.

    When added into a protection group, any selection for the server prompts a DPM Error

    "One or more prerequisites for protecting this data source is missing. Ensure that the following prerequisite software is installed on %servername% and/or all nodes in the cluster:

    Windows Server 2003 SP1 with KB article 940349

    - OR -

    Windows Server 2008 (http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=128812)

    If you have already installed the required prerequisite, refresh the agent status in the management tab and try again.

    ID : 31309

    "

     

    All of which points to a VSS rollup package for Windows 2003 (included in SP1)

     

    VSSAdmin reports that the VSS writer is Stable and last error: no error.

    VssAdmin list volumes shows that the volume paths have VSS volume paths.

    No other VSS Writers have been installed on these servers that I am aware of, and while they were previously backed up using BackupExec, the agents have since been uninstalled from 2 of 4 servers I found it installed on.

    What am I missing here?  Is DPM trying to call on some older version of a C++ redistributable?  These servers are up to date with just the 2008 redistributable.

     

    Friday, May 27, 2011 9:06 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Couple of thoughts which I hope can help. For clarification, the 940349v3 is not included in SP1, its a post SP2 roll-up. It sounds like you already installed 940349v3 on both nodes and rebooted each node respectively which is good. Second, if the cluster nodes are running Exchange you need to copy eseutil the appropriate locations.

    Protected Computer Software Requirements
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399140.aspx

    Further, if you are running Windows firewall you need to open up the correct ports to allow communication. I wrote a small blog entry concerning R2 but the firewall rules should be the same.

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog/archive/2010/07/20/dpm-2010-remote-agent-install-windows-firewall-settings.aspx

    I also saw a reference where the agent collects information from the agent every 30 min by default so please click refresh on the agent.

    Finally, can you verify that automount is enabled on each cluster node?
    C:>diskpart.exe
    automount

    Should say automount is enabled.

    Dave Guenthner [MSFT]

    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog/

    Sunday, May 29, 2011 2:00 PM
  • I seem to have a simular problem with slight difrences.

    The 2003 server was fully protected acording to DPM 05/23 - 05/27 and on monday 05/30 there was no connectivity from dpm to the protected server.

    After a reboot there was some connectivity and I could backup some of the SQL DB's.

    05/31 the problem is back in full swing with no connectivity from DPM to Agent on protected machine.

    pings reply DPM server to client and back with no delay.

    I can access files between servers as well.

     

    The Agent Status for that server displays "Error"

     

    Protected server is a Win 2003 server Enterprise SP2.  previously backed up using BackupExec.

     

    DPM server is a 2008 R2

      |__  DPM 2010

              |__ Diskpart.exe shows automount = enabled

     

    State of Volume Shadow Copy service and dependand services = ok

    Firewall = open to DPM

    Protected Computer Software Requirements = ok

    assadmin.exe list writers = waiting for responses (My nr 1 suspect at the moment)

     Ideas or progress on Kyle SA3 original problem would be appriciated


    Sigurður Magnússon
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 11:06 AM
  • The hotfix referenced was the issue.  From the DPM Error it brought me to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349/ 

    Installing the version 3 update resolved the issue for me.

    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:10 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.

    I guess that hotfix might just make its way on to my servers.

     

    I managed to get it going again with the fix described in here.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940184

     


    If it ain't broken take it apart and make it better.
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 11:03 AM