IRQ sharing may cause problems. Can I reassign the IRQ of a specific device to eliminate the sharing? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Forum Members,

I have a Vista 64 installation in which my two video cards, Nvidia 9800GX2-based (4 GPUs) and my Adaptec 5805 hardware RAID controller are all sharing IRQ-16.  Now in theory this is all well and good as an IRQ can be shared because the controller that doesn't get serviced simply has to wait unit the CPU can take care of it.  Adaptec feels, however, that the random lockups that that I am experiencing are probably caused by the sharing of IRQ-16 and they think that I need to try and reassign the IRQ that the 5805 uses to eliminate these issues.

Can an IRQ be reassigned and, if so, how does one go about doing it?  Thanks in advance!  Joe
    Monday, December 22, 2008 9:34 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Joe,

From your post, I understand that your two video cards and Adaptec 5805 hardware RAID controller are sharing IRQ-16. However, you found the Adaptec RAID controller encountered a issue and you thought this might be caused by the IRQ sharing and would reassign the Adaptec RAID controller’s IRQ.

Please understand that the issue is hardware related and there are certain settings for specific hardware. Since we have no direct information for the hardware you have, to configure the hardware properly and avoid of unnecessary troubles, it is recommend that you involve your computer’s manufacture for technical support. Thank you for your understanding.

I hope the issue will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 10:02 AM