Windows 8 OnScreen keyboard quit displaying on logon screen RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Samsung Build tablet with Windows 8 Release Preview installed. Everything has been working just fine until I installed the Office 2013 preview. When I uninstalled Office 2010 Professional, I had to reboot the tablet and when I logged in the login screen worked just fine. Touch the password text area, the onscreen keyboard popped up, I touched typed my password and I was in Windows 8. I then installed the new Office 2013 preview and used the computer for awhile with everything working perfectly. I then rebooted the tablet, touched the password text area and no onscreen keyboard will display. I know the touch is working becuse I can tap the sigin arrow and windows 8 tells me invalid password. The only way I can get logged in is to click the icon in the lower left corner of the logon screen and select display onscreen keyboard which displays the old style onscreen keyboard in a dialog with really small keys. If you very carefully type your password from this keyboard and then tap the signin arrow you are logged in to windows 8 and everything works as expected including the normal touch keyboard until something (reboot, tablet goes to sleep, etc.) requires you to be logged in again. Then we start all over. So does anyone have a clue as to what needs to be changed or reset to make the normal touch onscreen keyboard to come up while logging in to windows 8.

Thanks...

Steve Graddy   MCP,  MCPS,  MCNPS,  MCAD
    Orgbrat Consulting ( Microsoft Certified Partner )

• Edited by Orgbrat Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:54 PM
    Saturday, July 21, 2012 6:53 PM

Answers

• just rebooted after reinstallation of office 2010 and on screen function is back to normal. I used it to type this reply. Does this help narrow down the issue?
    • Marked as answer by Orgbrat Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:22 AM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:50 AM

All replies

• Try install all updates for Windows and office and then restart your PC.

Try uninstall Office 2013 and see whether your issue will resolve?

Try set another language in your PC and see if the keyboard will appear?

Alternative solution is to use picture password, rather than login.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:59 AM
  • Hello Steve,

Did you get resolution to this problem.

I had exactly the same issue after installing Office 2013

Dave Wain

drwain IT

Friday, July 27, 2012 6:40 AM
  • No I have not determined how to fix this issue.
    Sorry to see you had the same problem but sure wish someone had the answer.

Steve Graddy   MCP,  MCPS, MCNPS,  MCAD

Friday, July 27, 2012 11:32 AM
  • Had the same issue and just fixed it. Check in Device Manager whether any device is marked not working. For me it was the "C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller". After installing the newest Chipset driver from Samsung website and restarting the slate after installation, the keyboard is working normal again.

• Marked as answer by Leo HuangModerator Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:24 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Orgbrat Tuesday, August 7, 2012 10:59 AM
    Saturday, August 4, 2012 9:26 AM
  • My device is showing that everything is working. I noticed that the keyboard went away, not when I installed Office 2013, but when I uninstalled Office 2010. Is this what everyone else is seeing?

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 3:23 PM
  • That is why I removed futuro77's comment as the answer because all my devices in Device Manager also show everything as working fine and keyboard still not showing.  Although I thought I was sure it was Office 2013 install that caused this issue, I can not say that it happened when Office 2010 was uninstalled. I have not went any further in diagnosing this issue because I am going to load Windows 8 retail off my MSDN subscription on Aug 15 or very shortly there after. Was going to load Office 2013 on the beginning after that. If issue still a problem I was coming back here. But sure would be nice even for a couple weeks for the tablet to work correctly.

Thanks...

Steve Graddy   MCP,  MCPS,  MCNPS,  MCAD

Tuesday, August 7, 2012 6:38 PM
  • I wanted to jump in on this because I just uninstalled Office 2010 and now my on screen keyboard will not automatically pop up on my acer iconia w500. It is the only thing I have changed on the tabet, and there have been no updates for Win8RP in a while, so I am unsure what exactly caused the issue. Reinstalling 2010 now to see if the it corrects the problem. No issues with devices in the device manager either.
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:45 AM
  • just rebooted after reinstallation of office 2010 and on screen function is back to normal. I used it to type this reply. Does this help narrow down the issue?
    • Marked as answer by Orgbrat Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:22 AM
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 4:50 AM
  • I would suggest to post repro step of the issue in Samsung forum, there could be some issue with their drivers.
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 4:21 AM
  • I also have the iconia and I also uninstalled Office 2010 before installing 2013 (space restrictions made this a necessity). So it looks like the uninstall causes the issue. I will uninstall and reinstall 2013 to see if this resolves the issue
    Saturday, August 11, 2012 6:31 PM
  • I have to jump in.

the "just reboot" is not working.

The Touch Keyboard refuses to pop up for the following:

Login

UAC Pop Up ask for Admin

ANY IE Explorer where you want to type

ANY other Document, like TXT, Word, and so for

I don't know what the Engineers at Microsoft are doing, instead of reinventing the Wheel, they should fix the simple stuff.

Same issue with the Pen, sometimes you have to use Pen to click ok, other times it only works with touch.

So annoying.

I Suggest that Microsoft starts waking up and fixes those issues BEFORE they start selling this and give this to REAL testers and not in their own environment where "everything is working after a restart or refresh".

greetings

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:41 AM
  • I just purchased a Surface Pro and this is happening to me occasionally, especially after a wake up after hibernate. 
    Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:42 PM
  • I just purchased a Surface Pro and this is happening to me occasionally, especially after a wake up after hibernate. 

What all devices do you have attached?   FWIW the Touch Keyboard seems to be very sensitive about what devices it senses in deciding whether it will appear or not.   E.g. typically it will not appear when I use the mouse pointer and button to give a password field focus.   Also, I have noticed that my pen is sometimes presenting a mouse pointer instead of a pen pointer, so that may make a difference about it too but usually I can use the pen to make the TK appear for entering passwords.

In the case of the login screen you can always use the Accessibility button to open the OSK instead of hoping that the TK will eventually appear.   Otherwise, IME the most reliable method of getting the TK to show is to use the Settings charm's Languages button.  

I'm surprised there isn't any sign of manufacturers providing a Tablet PC button to assist with this very necessary function and making it less obscure.   At the very least it could have been added as an option to the Windows Mobility Center dialog (Win-X,b)   Then that would be an incentive for me to get my tx2's Tools button working.   In fact, since the Mobility Center dialog looks so much like the W7 one, I'm wondering if each manufacturer would be creating their own still?   In that case, you might be lucky and find that you could open the Touch Keyboard that way.

BTW have you tried setting up a Picture password?   That would avoid the login screen scenario for this problem completely.   ; )

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, February 21, 2013 3:26 PM