none
"Printer driver was not installed. Access is denied" - Server 2008 R2

Question

• I have assigned rights to the print server for a group of admins on 15 servers.  I have tested 2 of them and they worked fine, but for some reason the 3rd the admins cannot add printers.

These are the steps I took on each server;

1. I went to Print Management and gave them all the permissions available to add printers and manage existing printers

2. I made a share available to them so they can locally copy the drivers to the server to keep from having to transfer drivers over the WAN.

3. I gave them Remote Desktop access so they can remote into the server rather than work remotely to add printers.

I have done all three the exact same.  The third, however, they get the "Printer driver was not installed.  Access is denied." error.  I have confirmed more than once that all of the settings are set the same as I set them elsewhere.  They all have the Windows firewall off.  They are not admins on any of the servers, just print server admins.  There is currently no antivirus installed.  I, as a domain admin, am able to add printers to this server without issue.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 8:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• To test out, if you add 'em server operator, does that work ? I'am thinking a issue if the driver is not signed, not enougth right to install.

Check there, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753269.aspx

MCP | MCTS 70-236: Exchange Server 2007, Configuring

Want to follow me ?  |  Blog: http://www.jabea.net | http://blogs.technet.com/b/wikininjas/

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Add printer or Add drivers?  A delegated print administrator cannot add files to the driverstore, that requires someone with admin rights.  Once the print driver is added to the store (using pkgmgr.exe) the print admins can add drivers to be loaded by the spooler.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 7:11 AM
    Answerer
  • So you have a designated print server and give someone full access (in Print Management), but don't make the person an admin, and they can't add printers without an admin adding drivers first?  That has not been the case with the other 14 servers we've given them access to.  We gave them full rights on the print server in print management and there have been no problems on the other servers we did this on.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:06 PM
  • Delegated print admins can add print drivers when the driver files have been added to the DriverStore.  Any drivers included with Windows exist in the DriverStore.  The security implication is when adding the files to DriverStore.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:03 PM
    Answerer
  • I assume you have reviewed this technet information.  The table view does not paste well. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee524015(WS.10).aspx

Standard Users: Can connect to printers and print their documents (Permissions: Print, View Server) Partial Delegated Administrators: Can add printers (Permissions: Print, View Server, Manage Server) Partial Delegated Administrators: Can manage existing queues (Permissions: Print, View Server, Manage Printers, Manage Documents) Full Delegated Administrators: Can perform all administrative print tasks (Permissions: Print, Manage Documents, Manage Printers, View Server, Manage Server) System Administrators: Can fully administer the system (Permissons: Print, Manage Documents, Manage Printers, View Server, Manage Server)

Add and delete a print driver on a server

Yes, but locally only. The user must be a member of the Administrators group to add non-included drivers or to add drivers remotely to the print server.

Yes, but locally only. The user must be a member of the Administrators group to add non-included drivers or to add drivers remotely to the print server.

Yes

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:09 PM
    Answerer
  • Good day! I solved this issue my creating new user Admin and adding him to Print Operators and Local Admins. After that I specified full access for local admins in Print Server Security and after that this message has dissapeared.
    Friday, November 02, 2012 7:40 AM