none
What is difference between DNS replication and DNS secondary zone?

Question

• Hi,

I have a root domain A-DC1 and too Child domains A-Child-DC1 and A-Child-DC2 and I have a tree domain in forest B-DC1.

I am using DNS replication cross-forest for failover and high availability.

Do I need use secondary DNS or no?

What is the difference between DNS replication and DNS secondary zone when we talking about failover and high availability?

Friday, May 18, 2018 1:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I don't think you need it in your current situation.

The main difference between the 2 in term of failover and high availability is :

• With DNS replication if the other server fail hosts can still updates records and provide name resolution (Without any manual intervention)
    • With DNS secondary zone you will provide name resolution but hosts using the secondary DNS will not be able to update their records. If you want hosts to update their records you will have to change the type from secondary to primary manually

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by AliUrz Friday, May 18, 2018 9:27 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 2:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't think you need it in your current situation.

The main difference between the 2 in term of failover and high availability is :

• With DNS replication if the other server fail hosts can still updates records and provide name resolution (Without any manual intervention)
    • With DNS secondary zone you will provide name resolution but hosts using the secondary DNS will not be able to update their records. If you want hosts to update their records you will have to change the type from secondary to primary manually

Best Regards,

• Marked as answer by AliUrz Friday, May 18, 2018 9:27 PM
    Friday, May 18, 2018 2:04 PM
  • Thanks for the answer.
    Friday, May 18, 2018 9:27 PM