none
Delete old restore point and get unallocated space RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We're using DPM 2012 en we want to implement a new back-up application on the same server. So, we want to reduce the Storage Pool in DPM so that we can create a new volume for the new back-up application, and save some (not all) DPM recover points.  

When I go to the DPM Administrator Console > Management > Disks I see that there is 1251gb unallocated space. How can I give this back to Windows?

Thanks.

• Edited by Alelieveld Wednesday, May 8, 2013 12:42 PM
    Wednesday, May 8, 2013 9:47 AM

Answers

• Hi,

In Windows disk management - Right-click the Dynamic Disk that is in the DPM Storage pool and look at Properties, then under the VOLUMES tab - look at the unallocated space.  That should match what DPM says is unallocated for that disk. 

You should be able to make a volume out of that unallocated space on that disk.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:37 PM

All replies

• HI,

Nothing prevents you from creating new volumes in Windows disk management on the disks in the DPM storage pool.  This will just takes away free (unallocated) space from DPM.  The manually created volume(s) can be used by any application.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 7:23 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks. When I go to Computer Management - Disk Management, I see 671mb unallocated space, while in the DPM Console I see 1251gb unallocated space. Why I'm not seeing this in Computer Management? How can I make this space available in Disk Management for an new volume?

Friday, May 10, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Hi,

In Windows disk management - Right-click the Dynamic Disk that is in the DPM Storage pool and look at Properties, then under the VOLUMES tab - look at the unallocated space.  That should match what DPM says is unallocated for that disk. 

You should be able to make a volume out of that unallocated space on that disk.

Friday, May 10, 2013 5:37 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks, this solved the issues!

Angelo

Tuesday, May 14, 2013 7:53 PM