• Question

• Sys Stats:
    HP model m8226x
    AMD athlon 64 x2 dual core processor
    500 gig  hard drive
    3 gig RAM
    Nvidia 8600gt video card
    500 watt cooler master power supply

Mostly during game play( but not isolated to) my system will freeze locking the video in a slightly fragmented display. The audio will cut then continue unhindered. The only solution is a hard reboot as window key and Alt-tab-delete are unefective.
    I have the latest Nvidia drivers( v. 175.16) for my card and have Pheonix Award Bios V.6 oopg
     Have been unable to install the HP dual core optimizer due to an unavilable process in my system.
    Any Ideas how to fix this freeze. I love my games and this is driving me crazy.
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 6:11 PM

Answers

• I installed the 5.22 bios as you suggested and let my computer sit with the game on for several hours. No crash! than began playing (which I dont believe effected it) and I got the NVLDDMKM display driver failure message. After which I re-installed the latest NVIDIA video card driver for my 8600gt (v.175.16) and thing have ran smoothly since. To Test I installed CIV 4 (the game) which will produce the lock up always. Within minutes of running this game the system froze and locked.
    I restored my system to before the CIV4 install and ran another game for several hours with no crash. The occasional process lag in display( moving then being instantly back where I began or someplace totally different) but as this is probobly from server/ system processes Im OK with that. Thank you for your help and if the problem re-accures in the future I will come back for advice.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:16 PM

All replies

• There is an update for this, cant remember if it's from microsoft, or nvidia but I know there's an update. Ill repost if I remember search for it.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 7:58 AM
  •  

Hi,

Did you have all the latest updates?

According the description, this issue is very likely related to a known issue in Windows Vista.

For more information about it:

Virtual address space usage in Windows Vista game development

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

By the way, NVIDIA has created a Vista Quality Assurance Page for users to report any issues they may have with their NVIDIA-based graphics products in Windows Vista, you can get additional help from it.

NVIDIA Vista Quality Assurance

http://www.nvidia.com/object/vistaqualityassurance.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 10:27 AM
  • I believe I have the current drivers for my card. (v. 175.16)

For vista I have service pack 1

Hp has no current updates for this problem, that I have found.

Microsoft. I have no idea if there are more upgrades I havent found yet.

My research tells me this is an extremely common issue. I'd think it would be adressed by MS or Nvidia or Hp. I am beating myself up over it looking for a solution.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 10:03 PM
  •  

Hi,

If you have already applied 940105 patch, it should be a different issue.

Could you help double confirm whether this problem only occurs when playing the game, or may occur with normal operations such as surfing the Internet? Also, when did the issue start to occur? Did everything work smoothly before, or the issue just started to occur after installing the operating system with the games and the necessary drivers?

It is very important information for us to narrow down the problem’s scope.

Generally, most game manufacturers provided their compatibility information with operating system, display card, and the related settings.

Therefore, if the issue only occurs when playing certain games, it is recommend to firstly visit the game manufacturer websites to check whether there are any compatibility issues between the game and Windows Vista or 8600GT, and whether there are new patches for the games. You can also check whether customers also encounter similar issues with this game and 8600GT from the games’ forums if exist.

Besides, we should check the NVIDIA display card related settings as well. Have you ever customized some display related settings before? If yes, please restore them. You can also contact NVIDIA to check if it is a known issue:

https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=7498eac864dc1950c8f09e040b4a437a

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

hope it helps.

Friday, June 6, 2008 10:26 AM
  •  Hi and thanks for the reply,

I did try to apply the 940105 patch after reading the reply mentioning it. I was told by my system I did not need that patch. I can only assume because it is imbedded in Vista Service pack one and I have cureently applied this.

It does happen rarely when surfing the web or even more rarely when just at desktop. The issue has been since I purchased the machine two months ago. It was puchased with Vista installed. I bought the machine without the video card and power supply. The power supply was installed at the location by a "professional". I added the video card at home along with the current drivers. At first installation of "Sim cities: Societies" I began to experience the problem. So being I had it for a day, I took it back thinking it was a hardware issue. I was given a new tower and my video card and power supply were taken from the first rig and added to my current one. Again upon instalation of the first game( this time "Sins of a solar Empire") the video locked. Some times I can play my current games for hours without the issue. Other time it is almost instant. While surfing the web its only happened three or four times total and only a couple while "idle" at the desktop. I can almost always reprouce the problem by updating my windows score in the control panel.

Upon installation of the Nvidia card you are given the opprtunity to set the preferences. these , ofcourse , I set to the highest standard. After producing the problem I lowered the resolution and changed the 3D visual quality . Regardless of the specs our problem still persists.

I currently have ActiveX 10. Most games im loading come with ActiveX 9. I did install this for one game and my games ran without error for what seemed a longer period of time but eventually did crash. Shutting down all other current applications and unneccesary processes does not seem to help either.

Friday, June 6, 2008 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

I double checked the HP website for m8226x. Let’s check the following things:

1.I noticed  you installed Phoenix Award Bios V.6, and HP’s official version is 5.22. I suggest you install the official version, Non-official drivers may result in unexpected issue.

2.Did you install 8600GT after purchasing this computer? If so, it is recommend that you contact HP again to confirm whether the original one properly disabled.

3.If possible, could you check the Event log when the issue occurred?

4.Does the computer enable all DirectX feature? Please check it in DirectX diagnostic Tool. To run DirectX diagnostic Tool, please click "Start", type "dxdiag" in the Search Bar and Press Enter.

5.Can you install the display drive to another known computer to test this issue?

By the way, did NVIDIA contact your?

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 2:06 AM
  • I installed the 5.22 bios as you suggested and let my computer sit with the game on for several hours. No crash! than began playing (which I dont believe effected it) and I got the NVLDDMKM display driver failure message. After which I re-installed the latest NVIDIA video card driver for my 8600gt (v.175.16) and thing have ran smoothly since. To Test I installed CIV 4 (the game) which will produce the lock up always. Within minutes of running this game the system froze and locked.
    I restored my system to before the CIV4 install and ran another game for several hours with no crash. The occasional process lag in display( moving then being instantly back where I began or someplace totally different) but as this is probobly from server/ system processes Im OK with that. Thank you for your help and if the problem re-accures in the future I will come back for advice.
    Wednesday, June 11, 2008 7:16 PM