receive a “There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost” RRS feed

• Question

• when i want to save the file to a network drive(nfs mapping Z:),i receviced a error message “There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost”。 

i try to use web browser to save the web page to the network drive,there no err .and i try to use another application,there also no error.

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 7:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To work around this problem, use one of the following methods:

Method 1: Save the File to Your Local Disk

Method 2: Use a UNC Path in the Save Dialog Box

Method 3: Use a Mapped Drive

Method 4: Try to Save the File at a Later Time

See the following Microsoft KB article for details:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/291156/you-receive-a-there-has-been-a-network-or-file-permission-error--the-n

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 1, 2017 2:23 AM
  • Hi,

I had tried all the methods , and it did not solve the problem.

Do you think it's an office bug ??

Thursday, November 2, 2017 7:21 AM
  • Hi Jeff,

We haven't received reports about a similar issue. 

Does this issue happen when saving other type of Office documents? Such as an Excel workbook?

Do you have any other mapped network drive? If any, please also have a try with another network drive.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:47 AM
  • I started seeing the exact same problem as Jeff around the same general time.

Every time I try to save a file to a networked drive in Office, I get the “There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost” error.  Things of note:

1. The "network" is a VMware shared host network (e.g. \\vmware-host\tvolkert\foo\bar.txt).
    2. This error started happening around Nov 6 - before this, saving files to the location worked ok.
    3. This only happens in Office.  I tried Notepad, Chrome, IE, and Adobe Acrobat -- all of them were able to save files to the same folder just fine.
    4. Office is able to read files from that folder and open files - just not save.
    5. Mapping the networked drive does not help.  i.e. if I try to save to Z:\foo\bar.txt, I get the same error
    6. Neither restarting the VM nor the physical machine helps.

System info:

• VMware Fusion 10.0.1
    • Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 (16299.19)
    • Microsoft Office Home & Business 2016 Version 1710 (Build 8625.2121 Click-to-Run)
    Monday, November 13, 2017 7:16 PM
  • I have the same issue:

• VMware Fusion 8.5.8
    • Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 (16299)
    • Microsoft Office Home & Business 2016 Version 1710 (Build 8625.2127 Click-to-Run)

Monday, November 20, 2017 4:39 PM
  • I have the same issue as well.

• VMware Fusion 10.0.1
    • Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 (16299.15)
    • Microsoft Office Home & Business 2016 Version 1710 Build 8625.2127

Monday, November 20, 2017 9:22 PM
  • I have the exact same issue! Please Microsoft do something, the suggesteds workarounds do NOT work.

Thnx!

Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:11 PM
  • I have upgraded VM Ware Fusion and MS Office and run VMware Tools (repair) and done a Windows restart and still have the issue.

Confirm that using other programs I can save files.  This problem impacts MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel (have not tried the other MS Office programs)

• VMware Fusion Version 10.0.1
    • Windows 10 Pro Version 1709 (16299)
    • Microsoft Office Home & Business 2016 Version 1710 (Build 8625.2132 Click-to-Run)
    Tuesday, November 28, 2017 11:21 AM
  • For VMWare Fusion users there is an active discussion thread at https://communities.vmware.com/thread/574399

Post 17 from VMWare discusses the issue which VMWare are attending to.

As of the time of this post not yet fixed.

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 12:45 PM