locked
Multiple workstations having issues loading roaming user profiles after windows update? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello!

    Win 7 pro SP1

    I applied multiple windows updates to our domain environment on 1/25/13 and after applying these updates there are about 6 known workstations that are having issues loading roaming profiles. It appears it doesn't matter who logs into the workstation it fails to load the profile. What is interesting is if the workstation is rebooted or the user logs off multiple times it will eventually load the profile.

    There is no correlation to what domain controller is used for log on. I've seen it fail and succeed using the same DC.

    Other things I've done:

    I've removed the user profile from the workstation and removed the key out of the registry.

    I've replaced the default profile directory with a copy from a known good workstation.

    Renamed profile on server so new profile is created.

    In the event log I don't see anything I wouldn't expect.

    Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you log off. This error may be caused by network problems or insufficient security rights.

     DETAIL - Access is denied.
     

    The interesting thing here is if he restarts or logoff and back in a few times, it will load correctly.

    List of updates applied before issues started:

    Security Update for Microsoft Office Word 2007 (KB2760421) -
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2779562) -
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - January 2013 (KB890830) -
    Update for Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB2687404) -
    Security Update for Microsoft Office 2007 suites (KB2760416) -
    Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows 7 (KB2761465) -
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2786081) -
    Update for Windows Vista, Windows 7, Server 2008, Server 2008 R2 (KB2798897) -
    Update for Root Certificates for Windows 7 [December 2012] (KB931125) -
    Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2785220) -
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2773072) -
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 SP1 x86 (KB2742599) -
    Update for User-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7 (KB2685813) -
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2574819) -
    Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel 2007 (KB2687307) -
    Update for Kernel-Mode Driver Framework version 1.11 for Windows 7 (KB2685811) -
    Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 SP1 x86 (KB2736422) -
    Update for Windows 7 (KB2763523) -
    Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2727528)

    Right now, I'm at a loss.. Not sure what the check. I've looked at the individual updates looking to see if there were changes to user profile management. Still no leads and having the user reboot or retry until it works is only going to work for a few days. Thank you in advanced.

    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:57 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 9:30 PM

All replies

  • Users still experiencing issues. Profile fails to load. User then logs off and back on and it works. Issues still isolated to the same workstatsions at this time.
    Wednesday, January 30, 2013 10:47 PM
  • Hi,


    Since this issue occurred after performing Windows Update, I suggest you try to perform a system restore to see how it works.

    Also, you can also try to manually install them one by one to check whether this issue is caused by the updates.


    Thanks,


    Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

    Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:14 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. I will check to see if there are any system restore points. I am doubtful there is however. These machines are in a domain environment with updates managed by WSUS.

    Looks like the issue is spreading. I had another user today report the issue to me. Looking at the windowsupdate.log file all updates were applied to this computer days ago and the user is now just seeing the issue. This is starting to make me thing that maybe the issue is not related to the updates after all? Honestly it's hard to say because we never had this issue until after I approved these updates to roll out. Then a few of the users started to report issues? But slowly new PC's are showing this issue days after the updates have been applied? Seems weird..


    Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:33 PM
  • Doing a little more searching around I found somethings that might have contributed to this. I won't know until tomorrow.

    Our user profiles are stored on a DFS namespace. I found that the DFS namespace service on one of our servers was not started. Also I found that I was getting Group Policy errors in our event log. Event 1110. These errors started happening on the 29th which don't really coincide with the start of the issues though.

    I've restarted the server and it looks like the namespace service came up normally and the GP issues are gone. Like I said I'll find out if any of these changes make a difference in the morning.

    Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:22 PM
  • After poking around my network I found on one of the DFS servers the namespace service was not running. I restarted the server and I am currently monitoring the situation to see if it has resolved the issue. I will know by the end of the week if users are still experiencing profile issues.
    Tuesday, February 5, 2013 12:17 AM