RD Gateway on Server 2012 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

My end goal is to allow my users who often times visit other orgs who have very restrctive firewall policies access back into our corporate network through a RDP session.

I have set up RD Gateway on my 2012 R2 terminal server. Now, what I am trying to accomplish is to get it to tunnel everything throuhg port 443 (HTTPS) as the marketin spiel specifies it should. However, information on how to do this is not very forthcoming.

In my searches I see a lot of info about RDP requiring UDP access to port 3391. If I do this I may as well expose 3389 to the world which kind of defats the whole purpose of this RD Gateway system, right?

Any assistance on how to get everything to run over port 443 highy appreciated.

Wednesday, December 10, 2014 10:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting in Windows Server Forum.

You could have a web server that uses port 443 for a secure website and then an RD Gateway server that uses port 444 (Figure 3) and both servers will receive HTTPs data. Clients will connect to RD Gateway specifying the new port number and the NAT device will be able to correctly translate this to the internal IP address of your RD Gateway server.

If you use RDWeb and RD Gateway then all you need is tcp port 443.  If you only use RDWeb then you would need tcp port 443 for RDWeb and tcp port 3389 for RDP.

You can try to configure the below setting also for RD Gateway under IIS manager.

Open IIS Manager>select Sites>Default Web Site>RDWeb>Pages>Application Settings>DefaultTSGateway and then Set this to the External FQDN of your RD Gateway to connect from internet. 

More information for understanding and configuring RD Gateway on server 2012\R2.
    1. How To Work with RD Gateway in Windows Server 2012
    2. Running RD Gateway on a different port then 443 (Windows Server 8)

Hope it helps!

Thanks.

Dharmesh Solanki

TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 12, 2014 6:27 AM