none
Word starts to open a document and suddenly it closes leaving the file locked RRS feed

• Question

• When a user running XP SP3 double-clicks a word document, Office Word 2007 starts to open the document and suddenly it closes leaving the file locked.

This same user had a problem a few months ago with Excel doing exactly the same thing.  Now it is Word.  Our solution then was to reinstall Excel.  However, since Word is doing the same thing, I would like to have a real solution.

I did find one theory that made sense.  The user suggested backing up, then deleting all the files in the C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.MSO folder.  However, this user does not have a Content.MSO subfolder under Temporary Internet Files, so I was not able to try this.  Perhaps that could be part of the problem.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks.

DDaleS
    Wednesday, February 16, 2011 5:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand that when a user open a word document, Office Word 2007 starts to open the document and it closes suddenly.

Before go any further, I would like to confirm whether the issue occur with a specific document or all the documents. Is it password protected or encrypt?

Meanwhile, you can refer to the following KB article to perform common troubleshooting:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Best Regards,

Nick

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Friday, February 25, 2011 1:16 AM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:13 AM