Windows Easy Transfer Companion RRS feed

• Question

•  

Will you please give me a link to this download?  I just purchased a Belkin data transfer cable and it mentions this app for moving programs from XP to Vista.  Even on this forum there is a link but it is no longer active.  I was unable to find it even with a search of Microsoft and with Google.

Thank you,

Linda

Saturday, June 21, 2008 11:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Linda,

Windows Easy Transfer Companion is not available now.

I think the download link is removed because Windows Easy Transfer Companion is not compatible with Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:56 AM

All replies

• Hi Linda,

Windows Easy Transfer Companion is not available now.

I think the download link is removed because Windows Easy Transfer Companion is not compatible with Windows Vista Service Pack 1 or Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, June 23, 2008 3:56 AM
  • Hi: Is there a way to transfer a program off of my old xp to my new xp computer. *** Crawford

Friday, August 22, 2008 8:05 PM
  • When will easy transfer companion be available?  I have programs, specifically, MS Money that i've purchased internet upgrades to since i bought the original program.  I have the CD for the original version, but i have no idea how to transfer the upgraded version from my XP to my Vista computer.

Sunday, September 7, 2008 4:50 PM
  • I have a dilema,

So i need to transfer my information and files from my current desktop which runs XP to my new laptop that runs Vista. I bought a cable and software and it says that I need to visit the link to find the Easy Transfer Companion. I followed the link and the page that showed up said the link doesn't exist. I NEED to transfer all of my music, pictures and other files for my job!!

Thanks,

Josh

Tuesday, October 7, 2008 11:45 PM
  • How?

Thursday, October 23, 2008 9:01 PM
  • if you run windows easy transfer on your new pc and click i don't have a easy transfer cable it will then give you options of how to install it on your old pc on of those options are to burn it to a cd.

im doing this as i type

good luck

Friday, October 24, 2008 4:58 PM
  • HHHHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLLLPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is microsoft going to fix this problem as i just put out good money for the cable and program and microsoft automaticially upgaded my computer to xp pro sp3 !?!?!?  my daughter is going to school online and needs to transfer her documents and files to her new computer with vista home premium !?!?!?!?!?   will we still be able to transfer her stuff or does she have to start all over with her files and documents?!?!?!?!?!  my cd burner barely reads cd roms, does not burn anything, and needs replaced!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:59 AM
  • Can anyone tell anyone who just put out good hard earned money on a cable that won't work without the file, what we are supposed to do?  I think that the transfer cable should be pulled off the shelf until you can come up with some other solution.  This is stupid 

Monday, November 24, 2008 1:27 AM
  • dude, me thinks we are all *** out of luck...probably cheaper to invest in another CD drive and blank CD's....this is annoying as *** and I too put out money on this Belkin cable, alot of money and it ticks me off that it can't be used as promised.  it is bulloney

Monday, November 24, 2008 1:56 AM
  • There is software called PC Mover which is made by the manufactures of the belkin cable. Just go to the link of the belkin web site or do a google search.

• Proposed as answer by meatwad-tsg Friday, April 3, 2009 8:09 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, August 5, 2010 11:17 PM
    Monday, November 24, 2008 11:28 PM
  • me again, i got the one from 'radio shack' and 'lap link' then and talked to one of their live rep's this morning they do not have an answer its still in microsoft's lap unless some one posts the 'belkin' web site here or says what their answer is glad i got it at 'radio shack' got my money back this morning with out my reciept no problem but i am in there all the time

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 3:15 AM
  • the belkin cable only transfers files and settings, dude. and i personally don't think there will ever be an "easy transfer companion" from microsoft. they make too much ? selling the programs we want to transfer. just my opinion though. who knows maybe they will.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 10:09 PM
  • Yup, I completely agree. You hit the nail right on the head.
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 4:50 AM
  • There is software called PC Mover which is made by the manufactures of the belkin cable. Just go to the link of the belkin web site or do a google search.

Do not waste your time with PC Mover.  I bought it tried it 3 times and 6 weeks and 300+ hours later only to find out it transfered absolutely nothing.  What is worse I cannot return it.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 8:12 AM
  • The only thing easy about the migration of the pain in my butt to the migrain in my head.
    Friday, April 3, 2009 8:14 AM

• The Windows Easy Transfer Companion software is easy to use and is available here:

www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/easy-transfer.aspx

You can transfer user accounts, Files, folders, E-mail messages, contacts, photos, music, and videos, Windows and Internet settings.

You cannot transfer programs.
    They need to be installed.
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 6:13 PM
  • The link in the previous post is for just the Windows Easy Transfer program, not the Companion.  It only does data and settings, but not programs.  I would be surprised if it is ever released again.   And I don't think it's just a money-making thing on Microsoft's part.  My guess is that it's just really difficult to transfer the programs properly with all the different versions of software out there.  There's always going to be users with software that's not supported by the application.  Plus I would also guess the registry is left in better shape by doing a clean install instead of letting a program try to merge the necessary keys for the software.    So while it would be cool if it worked, it probably won't happen as long as windows is still tied to using a registry.

Friday, October 9, 2009 1:05 AM
  • I found a copy of Windows Easy Transfer Companion, circa March 2007.   I've not tried to use it, so I don't know whether it is of any use.

You can contact me by emailing dave at geeksalive dot com and then examining the bounce message for further instructions.

Dave

Thursday, August 5, 2010 10:18 PM
  • There is a program called "Parallels Desktop for Upgrading to Windows 7" that will allow the transfer of most programs and applications, they told me that you can also transfer between two XP operating systems as well, the program link is as follows: http://www.parallels.com/products/upgrading-to-windows-7/     Check it out Linda.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 8:36 PM
  • Hi Richard! Could you give more details please? I desperately need to upgrade my windows XP pro's Hard Drive, from 40 to 80; it is an heirloom computer, but want to save for what I want. In the meantime my new prospective job requires I have a minimum of 80  mbs of hard drive. It was purchased in 2001, but still runs and need to make some money from this job to buy a better one. So basically i heard you and buy data transfer cables, and can then first moved all your c drive to your current extenal drive, EVEN YOUR PROGRAM FILES, but I have now read conflicting reports on this, with service packs, etc.

I want to keep XP PRO- reload it, that ais on my same antiquated computer, but want to be sure ALL my PROGRAMS WILL BE SAFE (unless maybe heavily copyrighted ones) and put the in an external hard dirve folder, then place my new Hard Drive in my computer, load xp pro, load the dirvers, and pray this works. BUT IS THERE ANY DATA TRANSFER PRODUCT THAT "FOR SURE" DOES THIS? In other words will my programs once I plug in my external drive, after saving them and transferring hard drives, actually load, and load properly?

Could you tell me exactly what cable might do this? or are they just from computer to computer; all i might have to do is load each program one by one from my exteranl drive back to my C drive; is this correct?

I need an expert opinion.

Thanks so much!

Leslee 

Sunday, June 5, 2011 7:31 PM