none
Mapped drives spontaneously not mapping.

Question

• Hi there.

I am currently having a random issue on my domain where mapped drives are not mapping and the user is having to log off and log back on for them to re-appear.  Also, the desktop icons and/or wallpaper won't apply so this will need a relog on too.

We are in a Windows 2008 domain and using Windows 7 machines. 

I have these mapped through group preferences and the user profiles i believe it is affecting is predominantly using MANDATORY profiles.  (I have no idea if this matters).  

I have currently tried:

• Changing GPO to allow for network to fully initialize.
    • Changing GPO to wait a max of 120 seconds or for network to initialize before log on.

Has anyone has this before? I can't seem to work it out.  I have searched every possible thing i can think off.  

Thanks for any assistance.

Thursday, October 13, 2016 1:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

According to the research, the issue may be caused by the several possible reasons of mapped drive lost.

Possible cause 1: The problematic client doesn't reconnect to the target share at logon.

Please follow the steps to re-configure the mapped driver on the client and then check if the issue will re-occur.

a. Open "My Computer"

b. Click on "Tools" and then select "Map Network Driver"

c. input the \\ipaddressofserver\sharename to give the path of the share

d. Check "Reconnect at logon"

e. Drive gets mapped

f. Double click on the drive to check.

Possible cause 2: Antivirus software or Windows Firewall may block the SMB protocol on clients.

Please check if there is any Antivirus software and the Windows Firewall is enabled on the problematic clients. If so, please disable them to check if the issue can be resolved.

Possible cause 3: Fast Logon Optimization is enabled on the clients.

The fast logon feature may affect the display and drive letter assignment of a mapped network drive. As a result, the drive may have been mapped; however, the user on client cannot see it in Windows Explorer. He may recognize it as a failed network drive mapping. This is the reason why we usually suggest you to disable fast logon on the clients via a GPO, and please check if the mapped network drive will be occur under this circumstance.

Please also configure the following group policy setting to disable Fast Logon Optimization to see if the issue still exists on the problematic clients.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 14, 2016 6:16 AM
  • Hi there thanks for your reply.

Probable Cause 1 - This would not change anything.  The users, use a mandatory profile so everything is lost once they log on.  The issue is, is that these are not mapping by GPO.

Probable Cause 2 - Firewalls are turned off and our antivirus is on every machine.  This works on some machines then it doesn't.  I don't understand why the Antivirus would do this? Wouldn't it flat out stop every group policy from running?

Probable Cause 3 - I will test this now.  This GPO was currently set to ON.  I will report back to see if this continues.    I have already set the fast logon optimization to wait for 120 seconds before logon.

Thanks again.

Friday, October 14, 2016 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply and we will be patiently wait for your update.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 17, 2016 2:55 AM
  • Hi Alvin,

Just to let you know.  This didn't fix the error.  I am still getting random drive mapping failures etc.

Thanks.

Monday, October 17, 2016 12:05 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Please try to disable UAC and check if the issue persists.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 6:37 AM
  • Hi Alvin,

This did not work i'm afraid.

One computer turn on and i get no icons or drives, log off back in

i then get all icons but no drives.  Log off and back in to get all icons on desktop and drives.  This problem is very confusing.

Thanks.

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Hi,

I am sorry that this issue still hasn't been resolved.

If there is no progress, I would suggest you contact Microsoft Customer Services and Support to get an efficient solution:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ln=en-au

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Thursday, October 20, 2016 9:24 AM