Lost Outlook Express RRS feed

• Question

• My sign-on to my computer got corrupted. I no longer have access to any of my programs such as MS Office 2000 nor Outlook Express. two questions:

1 - How do I find and retreive all of my e-mails from outlook express as well as all my e-mail contacts ????

2 - I can get to Excel & Word by trying to execute from a short-cut or clicking on a XLS or DOC file. The system then prepares to install Excel or Word. If I cancel the prepare it then opens Word or Excel and then I have to open the file I want to look at.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:27 PM

Answers

• You don't mention what operating system you are using, but don't fret, your files would be located under the old profile name.  For example, for XP you would look under:

C:\Documents and Settings

Under this folder you should see two profiles that start with the same username.  One is the one that got corrupt and the other is the one the OS made up when it couldn't load the previous.

The easiest method to find out which is which is to start the OS and logon normally.  Start a command prompt window (e.g. Start | Run | CMD.EXE | OK button.  This will drop you into the active user profile (e.g. C:\Documents and Settings\Steve.PC01").  At this point I would know that "Steve.PC01" is the new/good profile that doesn't have the settings, files, .etc that you are after and "Steve" would.

To help a bit more, Microsoft Outlook uses .PST and .PAB* files for mail, calendar, tasks, contacts, .etc.  You could copy these out to a new folder at the root of "C" (e.g. C:\UserData) and then configure you Outlook profile to use these files.

Lets see, I have used Outlook Express in a very long time, but I used to refer people to http://www.oehelp.com/.  There is some good information on how to lift, move, back/restore Outlook Express data.  You should be able to coble something together from this where you simple copy the entire Outlook Express store to a new location and then point Outlook Express under the new OS profile to this location.

Other than that, why aren't you letting Excel/Word complete the install/repair cycle?  If you let it complete, it shouldn't come up each time you start the programs.  If it does, then something else is wrong that has to be looked at.

* PAB might not exist as Contacts can be stored in the PST.

My sign-on to my computer got corrupted. I no longer have access to any of my programs such as MS Office 2000 nor Outlook Express. two questions:

1 - How do I find and retreive all of my e-mails from outlook express as well as all my e-mail contacts ????

2 - I can get to Excel & Word by trying to execute from a short-cut or clicking on a XLS or DOC file. The system then prepares to install Excel or Word. If I cancel the prepare it then opens Word or Excel and then I have to open the file I want to look at.

• Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, March 31, 2011 2:40 AM
    Sunday, March 27, 2011 2:22 PM