none
"CopyProfile" in SYSPREP breaks the start menu in Creators Update v1703

Question

• I normally like to customize a new image for every new major update of Windows that is released. The latest one is of course v1703 aka the Creators Update. I've always added some icons to the desktop, made some explorer personalizations, installed 3rd party programs i.e. Adobe Reader and changed the desktop wallpaper. I do this in a Hyper-V virtual machine. After this I run SYSPREP to GENERALIZE the image with OOBE and a unattend.xml file containing only the CopyProfile flag in the Specialize pass.

This has been woking just fine with the Anniversary Update (v1607) but with the Creators Update CopyProfile breaks the start menu for me. 

The way the start menu breaks is that most of the tiles/apps never loads. The tiles shows empty with a down facing arrow like it'd downloading but it never does.

If I run SYSPREP without the unattend flag (skipping the CopyProfile command) then the start menu is fully populated as is should be.

Anyone knows how to troubleshoot / fix this?

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 6:06 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Windows 10 version 1703 is released recently, we have not been this issue before. We are still collecting issues about Windows 10 version 1703, you could use the built-in Feedback Hub to submit this issue. To troubleshoot this issue deeply, we need to collect more data. Please upload your Setupact.log and Setuperr.log to OneDrive and share us the link here. 

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by malevo10 Monday, October 23, 2017 3:54 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by malevo10 Monday, October 23, 2017 3:55 PM
    • Proposed as answer by malevo10 Monday, October 23, 2017 3:55 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by malevo10 Monday, October 23, 2017 3:55 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 8:52 AM
  • Hi ,

Windows 10 version 1703 is released recently, we have not been this issue before. We are still collecting issues about Windows 10 version 1703, you could use the built-in Feedback Hub to submit this issue. To troubleshoot this issue deeply, we need to collect more data. Please upload your Setupact.log and Setuperr.log to OneDrive and share us the link here. 

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact 

To be honest I don't know how to do this. Do you have a "how-to" that I can read about finding the logs etc?
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 12:21 PM
  • Hi ,

Check the following links, you will find the location of these logs.

Understanding Failures and Log Files
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee851579%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
    Log files that are created when you upgrade to a new version of Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/928901/log-files-that-are-created-when-you-upgrade-to-a-new-version-of-windows

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:42 AM
  • Put me in the "same here" camp. Start menu is broken and in my case, Cortana returns no results, and Edge and IE both either freeze or refuse to open.
    Thursday, April 20, 2017 4:21 PM
  • Hi ,

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact .

Here is the link to the Setupact.log file. The Setuperr.log was empty (0 bytes) so OneDrive didn't allow me to upload it for that reason I think.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AihjRqTXRyI4gpsuPHAXzWymL2UViw

Friday, April 21, 2017 1:24 PM
  • Here is the link to the Setupact.log file. The Setuperr.log was empty (0 bytes) so OneDrive didn't allow me to upload it for that reason I think.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AihjRqTXRyI4gpsuPHAXzWymL2UViw

Friday, April 21, 2017 1:26 PM
  • In addition here's a link to how the start menu looks after OOBE /w CopyProfile set to true. And it stays like this forever, the downarrows never downloads and populates.

Nevermind the Trashcan tile in the start menu, I just had added this manually when I took the screenshot. :)

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AihjRqTXRyI4gpsvtxBRdo0aygFA8g

Friday, April 21, 2017 1:36 PM
  • Hello,

I tested your scenario and it does not repro. If you can post your build steps I can try again to see if I get an internal repro.

Warren

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 10:59 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same problem. I use MDT 8443 with the Windows 10 ADK for 1703 and Windows 10 Enterprise 1703 to build my reference images in VMWare. A bunch of tiles flip and say "A great app is on its way!" but nothing ever comes. Clicking on any of the tiles sends me to a Tips - Get online page.

I tried resetting the start menu by logging in with another local account, saving %localappdata%\TileDataLayer\Database and copying it over the local admin account and that actually made things worse. After doing this the command prompt and Microsoft Edge wouldn't even launch. Additionally, Allarms & Clock and the Weather app got removed as a tile. I noticed quite a few websites recommending this as an acceptable solution so that seems a bit concerning.

Lastly, I tried the following:

- dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    - sfc /scannow
    - Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

At this point I'm trying to hunt down technical details for how the start menu and apps are created for users and am not finding anything that goes deep enough on the subject for me to troubleshoot effectively.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 11:25 PM
  • My experience with copyprofile in 1703, Edge wont allow any type of download, they all turn into a text document only .txt. When I try to download a .exe file type, it changes it to _exe.txt the file isn't usable unless I manually change the extension back to .exe after the download, same story with .docx .pdf .msi all broken and forced to .txt

strange. 

Saturday, May 13, 2017 4:51 AM
  • I'm having the same problem.  I'm not using MDT.

Simply using CopyProfile causes the issue.  Removing CopyProfile from the unattend file "fixes" the issue, although we obviously need a default profile for new users, so removing CopyProfile is not a solution.

Sunday, May 14, 2017 2:58 AM
  • I can confirm this issue as well.  Cortana and Edge both hang and start menu gives problems.  Any ideas as we do use copyprofile and do not want to remove it. 
    Monday, May 15, 2017 3:30 PM
  • Is there a fix for this?  We heavily rely on on this feature and without working it's going to be a real headache.  
    Tuesday, May 16, 2017 11:12 AM
  • we are seeing the same... IE opens and closes Edge opens but doesn't respond not sure about the start menu

here is the link to onedrive

Windows
    1703 Errors

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 1:27 PM
  • CopyProfile is working fine after you clear all cache
    No problem with Edge, Cortana or Start menu tiles after u do that..

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 7:24 PM
  • Can you be a little more specific please?  Which cache are you talking about? 

Thank you

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 9:52 PM
  • I have the same problem with Edge, IE and Store although I cleared all caches using disk cleanup before sysprep

Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:11 AM
  • I am faced with the same problem:after sysprep with copyprofile "true", Edge and the Searchbar is broken...I can't login with a new user over the windows domain. The same problem comes to my computers after installing the CU update.. A User can't work on this PC.

About a possible solution (or e-mail: sinabuddy@hotmail.com ) I would be very happy.

Thank you!

• Edited by sinabuddy Friday, May 19, 2017 9:16 AM
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 1:12 PM
  • I can e-mail you the solution. 
    There is an awful human being following these forums too looking for a solution whom I'd rather not share the solution with.

Hi there, yes please send me the solution on my email: patriklbs@outlook.com
    Thursday, May 18, 2017 3:02 PM
  • Has anyone received an answer? I wrote my email address in a post but never received the solution.
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:13 AM
  • I haven't received an answer yet. 
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 10:36 AM
  • I have a support ticket at Microsoft Premier Support regarding this issue. I have the same issue with Windows 10 version 1607.

After the OS Deployment it break the startmenu. The startmenu isn't responding at all

• Edited by Pedro van Vliet Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:00 PM
    • Proposed as answer by dude1987 Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:27 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by dude1987 Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:27 PM
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 12:59 PM
  • I have a support ticket at Microsoft Premier Support regarding this issue. I have the same issue with Windows 10 version 1607.

After the OS Deployment it break the startmenu. The startmenu isn't responding at all

I also have the problem you describe where start menu isn't responding in Windows 10 1607 but I read on several article that it could be caused when Store and Cortana are removed. Is it your case? If yes I suggest you to keep it and just prohibit them by GPO.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Hello Pedro,

I saw this a while back with 1607 and I heard there was an issue with a CU that was causing this.  In the last 2 weeks I built up a 1607 system with latest updates and COPYPROFILE is working like before.  I can replicate the problem on 1703 every time.  Are you on the latest CU?

Sol

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Pedro.

It might also be worth noting that 1607 was re-released in January to the volume licensing site so it's possible the issue you're having was addressed in the re-release if you aren't using a fully patched image. I mention this because we had all sorts of issues with updates not applying on our original 1607 reference image that got resolved in the re-release.

Original ISO: SW_DVD5_WIN_ENT_10_1607_64BIT_English_MLF_X21-07102.ISO

Re-released ISO: SW_DVD5_WIN_ENT_10_1607.1_64BIT_English_MLF_X21-27030.ISO

As for 1703, I think it's important to remember that this is still "Current Branch" status, not "Current Branch for Business." It's a bit disappointing that the copyprofile issue keeps cropping up but isn't totally unexpected for something that hasn't been given the rubber stamp of approval for business.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 4:36 PM
  • No email, no solution...
    Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:36 PM
  • Odd, did anyone else think that this 'awful human being' could have been them?  I was wondering if I said something to upset him, but looking back I don't think I said anything bad. :) 

Hopefully BjornA will reach out and he/she is probably very busy.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 6:42 PM
  • Hi:

Everyone's situation is a little different but here's what happened to me.  At the end is my workaround for the down-arrow tiles problem.

I had a nice "audit mode" image for Win10 v1607 (Anniversary Update) which I had been using for over a year.   I wanted to update this image to v1703 (Creators Update).  Unfortunately I can't find a way to install Creators Update when in "audit mode" so my method of upgrading my audit-mode image was as follows:

1) Copy my good v1607 audit-mode image to a PC

2) Create an account (i.e. "localadmin") and put it in the "Administrators" group

3) switch out of audit-mode by just just running the SysPrep that automatically opens whenever I boot into audit-mode (Action: "Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE)"; did NOT check box for "Generalize"; Shutdown Options: Reboot)

3) Login to OOBE with "localadmin" account

4) Install Creators Update using the "Update Assistant" (downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10).  Takes about an hour.

5) Uninstall the crapware "apps" which were provisioned for the "localadmin" account.  You need to do this otherwise there will be problems later when you are back in audit-mode and you want to unprovision the crapware.  I used these PowerShell commands to uninstall the crapware for "localadmin"

Get-appxpackage | remove-appxpackage

then

Get-appxpackage flaregamesGmbH.RoyalRevolt2 | remove-appxpackage

then

get-appxpackage Microsoft.BioEnrollment | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.AccountsControl | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.LockApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.PPIProjection | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.Apprep.ChxApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.AssignedAccessLockApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.SecondaryTileExperience | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.SecureAssessmentBrowser | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Windows.ContactSupport | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Windows.MiracastView | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Windows.PrintDialog | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage windows.immersivecontrolpanel | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage 1527c705-839a-4832-9118-54d4Bd6a0c89 | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage c5e2524a-ea46-4f67-841f-6a9465d9d515 | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage CortanaListenUIApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage DesktopLearning | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage DesktopView | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage E2A4F912-2574-4A75-9BB0-0D023378 | remove-appxpackage592B
    get-appxpackage EnvironmentsApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage HoloCamera | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage HoloItemPlayerApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage HoloShell | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.CredDialogHost | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.HolographicFirstRun | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.ModalSharePickerHost | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkCaptivePortal | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkConnectionFlow | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.WindowPicker | remove-appxpackage

Yes, yes I know it seems crazy to do all these command but it's hard to remove this crapware with one command.  Even after all of this effort these 37 "apps" remained installed for localadmin account:

Microsoft.BioEnrollment Microsoft.AccountsControl Microsoft.LockApp Microsoft.PPIProjection Microsoft.Windows.Apprep.ChxApp Microsoft.Windows.AssignedAccessLockApp Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls Microsoft.Windows.SecondaryTileExperience Microsoft.Windows.SecureAssessmentBrowser
    Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI Windows.ContactSupport Windows.MiracastView Windows.PrintDialog Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost windows.immersivecontrolpanel Microsoft.Windows.Cortana Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager
    1527c705-839a-4832-9118-54d4Bd6a0c89 c5e2524a-ea46-4f67-841f-6a9465d9d515 CortanaListenUIApp DesktopLearning DesktopView E2A4F912-2574-4A75-9BB0-0D023378592B EnvironmentsApp HoloCamera HoloItemPlayerApp HoloShell Microsoft.CredDialogHost Microsoft.Windows.HolographicFirstRun Microsoft.Windows.ModalSharePickerHost Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkCaptivePortal Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkConnectionFlow Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI Microsoft.Windows.WindowPicker

5) switch back to "audit mode" by running: C:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep /audit

Now back in audit-mode again ...

6) Delete the "localadmin" account (don't need it because in audit-mode it automatically logs into the "administrator" account)

7) Remove the profile for "localadmin" account (appears in the list as "Account unknown")

At this time NO TILES AT ALL are showing in audit-mode (which is what I want because in our environment I add all the needed tiles using a freeware utility in our domain login script)

8) Used administrative powerShell to get 38 updates: GET-WUINSTALL -ACCEPTALL

9) Ran Disk Cleanup to delete 11.3GB of junk

10) Checked disk structure by 1) rebooted      2) CHKDSK /F      3) Rebooted (again)

I only want to provision three (3) "apps" for my users - Microsoft.SkypeApp,  Microsoft.WindowsCalculator and Microsoft.WindowsMaps so the next two steps unprovision everything else and uninstall (for "administrator") as much as possible:

11) Use PowerShell to unprovision everything except the three apps I want:

get-appxprovisionedpackage -online | where-object {$_.displayname -notlike "*Skype*" -and $_.displayname -notlike "*Calculator*" -and $_.displayname -notlike "*WindowsMaps*"} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage -online

12) Use PowerShell to uninstall (for "administrator") all apps except the three apps I want:

get-appxpackage | where-object {$_.name -notlike "*Skype*" -and $_.name -notlike "*Calculator*" -and $_.name -notlike "*WindowsMaps*"-and $_.name -notlike "*MirraCast*"} | remove-appxpackage

Note, it's not possible to actually uninstall all the "apps" so it's normal for you to see the error message "This app is part of Windows and cannot be uninstalled on a per-user basis" many times.

And now, the moment you have been waiting for ... here's how to stop all the stupid down-arrow tiles from appearing in the OOBE image:

13) On any Windows 10 PC (perhaps not your audit-mode PC ... any Win10 PC) configure the tiles the way you like them and then export the tile settings to an XML file with a PowerShell command like:

export-startlayout -path c:\temp\nice_tiles.xml

Then, back on your audit-mode PC ...

14) Using notepad++ (or any text editor) replace the contents of these two files:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml

and

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml

with the XML that you saved earlier.   Personally I like the tiles to be 100% empty for my OOBE image because I add the tiles that the users need using a freeware tool in our login script so the XML  that I use is:

<LayoutModificationTemplate Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
      <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />
      <DefaultLayoutOverride>
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout">
          </defaultlayout:StartLayout>
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
    </LayoutModificationTemplate>

15) Now, you will probably want to save your audit-mode image to your imaging server (for later editing)

16) Now, convert your audit-mode image to OOBE using commands like:

cd \windows\system32\SysPrep
    sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:Custom_Unattend.xml

(note, my Custom_Unattend.xml does have copyprofile set to true)

When you eventually login to your OOBE image you will only see three tiles ... "Settings", "Store" (which will not work because I removed the "Store") app and "EDGE":

I am still trying to figure out a way to stop these three tiles (Settings, Store and EDGE) from being created.

I hope the above information is useful to someone.

In summary I would like to say that I've been building Windows images for almost 20 years.   I once spent six years maintaining the PC images for a LAN with over 12,000 PCs.   Users prefer a clean, fast, reliable image which provides snappy performance - they don't want their computers cluttered up with silly programs like Twitter, Candy Crush, etc.  It is sad that Microsoft has such bad judgement regarding what programs to deploy with their OS.  Microsoft's attempt to ram unwanted programs onto our computers is annoying.

Best of luck everyone!

Wednesday, May 24, 2017 6:14 PM
  • Thank You :)

Thursday, May 25, 2017 1:54 PM
  • CopyProfile is the devil.  I avoid it.  Even if the start menu and search don't break, the default profile will be bigger and login will be slower than it already is for new users.

• Edited by JS2010 Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:14 PM
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:14 PM
  • Whow cool, I would be very happy about it ...

Big Tanks, if you can help us..!!!

• Edited by sinabuddy Monday, May 29, 2017 9:38 PM
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 7:25 PM
  • What's the URL to your blog?
    I am really interested in the fix for this, please!
    Friday, May 26, 2017 6:06 AM
  • I never received this email so I seeked for myself and I probably found a solution... In my case I removed the content of the "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache" directory and the "C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat" file after sysprep before connecting with my new user and Edge, IE and Store seem to work again normally!

PS: You need to display hidden and system protected files to see these items

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 1:36 PM
  • Hello dude1987

Thank you very much for your solutions!!
    With your manual, now i can login with a new domain user!

I am wait for an e-mal too.

The thing that currently doesn't work for me:

-MS Startpage in edge. the Side is empty, the search bar in the side is working 
    -I can't download any .exe or .zip files: edge says "xy_exe" can't download, then you can press repeat, and he will download the file. But you have to rename "xy_exe" into "xy.exe"...that's very bad...

-And the action-center shows on every login: "an app default was reset"

Edit:

when i delete "C:\Users\Default\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\counters.dat"
    edge will work "normal" with new Users...

• Edited by sinabuddy Friday, June 2, 2017 8:03 AM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 7:48 PM
  • COPYPROFILE has always been problematic with Windows 10 (Just do a quick Google search and you will find out).  I would recommend injecting your OS settings inside of the default ntuser.dat file and deploy all application settings via GPO.  I am currently using this method for over 1000+ computers and have not had any issues.
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:20 PM
  • Thank you for your additional informations sinabuddy... I had the same problem you explained and delete the counters.dat file resolved it
    Friday, June 2, 2017 1:57 PM
  • Here is one thing that i have done that seems to work. After running sysprep with copyprofile set to true i have my answer file set to log in to the Administrator profile. From there i go to the properties of the Administrator user profile folder and under security tab i add Everyone with full control. It usually give a few errors saying the operation cant be done on a few folders within the profile folder but thats ok. After i do that every new profile that is added everything seems to work fine and all my configurations are carried over into each profile. Of course i imagine this will only work if you have sysprep leave the Administrator profile active.
    Monday, June 5, 2017 12:16 PM
  • I've just found out that I had this issue in Windows 10 1703; I have copyprofile set as TRUE in the unattend.xml in the MDT Task Sequence. When MDT installs the operating system to bare metal or VM, search no longer works.

When I remove copyprofile from the unattend.xml, search works but removes all the customisations I wanted to bring across.

Worked perfectly in W10 1511/1607 (and W7).

I'm recreating my MDT now with the copyprofile set to true to test some of the solutions outlined here and on tenforums.

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 12:25 AM
  • Hello TechAvenger

I can't set my log of the answer file in another directory else c:\windows\system32\Sysprep\Panther\...

Do you change the security of the folder C:\users\Administrator ?

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:51 PM
  • Yes i added everyone with full control to the c:\users\administrator folder
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 7:54 PM
  • Confirmed that deleting C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache, C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat, as well as C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache from the Administrator account that was created via MDT when the system booted, resolved the search issues for any new users that logged on to the system (both non-domain and domain).

Trying to figure out now how to resolve this from MDT, in order to remove this manual step

Loading the WIM file into DISM shows that the C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache is not present.
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 10:12 PM
  • Not sure if it would work with MDT but I was able to work around issues with copyprofile by adding these lines:

del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat
    del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\*.*
    del /F /Q C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\*.*

To %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd as part of my sysprep.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-a-custom-script-to-windows-setup

Thanks a bunch to dude1987 and sinabuddy for pointing us in the right direction!

• Edited by caind Wednesday, June 7, 2017 10:48 PM
    • Proposed as answer by mtarggart Tuesday, April 17, 2018 7:05 PM
    Wednesday, June 7, 2017 10:46 PM
  • Thank you I too can confirm this works on my Image - we use FOG as the deployment tool.

adding

To %WINDIR%\Setup\Scripts\SetupComplete.cmd

it fixes broken Start menu Broken IE and Broken Edge :-) happy bunny now I can deploy it to our ICT rooms

• Edited by k-strider Monday, June 12, 2017 11:35 AM
    Monday, June 12, 2017 11:33 AM
  • Is there anyway to write a script for this and have it to do this after sysprep? Like a SetupComplete.cmd?

Monday, June 12, 2017 3:01 PM
  • that's exactly the file I put it in.
    Tuesday, June 13, 2017 7:24 AM
  • Not sure if it would work with MDT but I was able to work around issues with copyprofile by adding these lines:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/add-a-custom-script-to-windows-setup

Thanks a bunch to dude1987 and sinabuddy for pointing us in the right direction!

I can confirm that adding in that SetupComplete.cmd file, to the advertised location with the correct commands has resolved the issue for all users who log into the machine, including the default administrator account created by MDT.
    Friday, June 16, 2017 3:41 AM
  • Thank you for your reply. We still didnt solved this issue together with MS Premier Support.

Why MS Premier Support didnt mentioned this.....
    We are using this 07102 ISO idd, fully patched but still. Gonna test this "new" 27030" ISO.

Yesterday I upgraded to SCCM environment to 1703 + Rollup 1. MS Premier thought it was a SCCM issue, but it isn't. But you know how they are... ;-)

To be continued............
    Tuesday, June 20, 2017 11:20 AM

I can confirm that adding in that SetupComplete.cmd file, to the advertised location with the correct commands has resolved the issue for all users who log into the machine, including the default administrator account created by MDT.

I've started seeing an issue after using this fix

SearchUI.exe becomes unresponsive after a user has logged in, causing the system to lockup. Unable to do anything until it finally processes a "start task manager" command and can access to stop the process.

I am not 100% sure the copyprofile fix causes this issue, but it seems related

Friday, June 30, 2017 2:33 AM
  • I have tried to tell u guys :) There is a lot more too it.. U need to clear more stuff.
    If you do not remove the correct files, you will have problems and should not use that image in a production environment. 

And the copyprofile problem is just for starters. There is a lot of other issues with 1703 Microsoft needs to fix. 

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 12:12 PM
  • Another odd behavior I'm seeing with CopyProfile=true is that Edge will no longer display certain websites correctly.  However if you open the site in a new InPrivate window it works.
    Wednesday, July 5, 2017 3:20 PM
  • Has there been any further updates from MS Premier Support?

Thank you for the feed thus far...

Monday, July 10, 2017 4:11 PM
  • Confirmed that deleting C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache, C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat, as well as C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache from the Administrator account that was created via MDT when the system booted, resolved the search issues for any new users that logged on to the system (both non-domain and domain).

Trying to figure out now how to resolve this from MDT, in order to remove this manual step

Loading the WIM file into DISM shows that the C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache is not present.

In my case I also had to delete the contents of:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\

As well as the file:

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat

I had application log errors indicating a lack of privileges to files in those directories:

taskhostw (2796) WebCacheLocal: An attempt to open the file "C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\WebCacheV01.dat" for read / write access failed with system error 5 (0x00000005): "Access is denied. ".  The open file operation will fail with error -1032 (0xfffffbf8).

• Edited by MerrickT Monday, July 10, 2017 5:38 PM Typo, Readability
    Monday, July 10, 2017 5:36 PM
  • It does repro.

Didn't work with Anniversary Update either.

Wednesday, July 19, 2017 3:55 PM
  • i had the same problem, left click on startmenu (and info center) was not working, right click was working (also on info center).

I had configured applocker without adding the default rule to appX rules. After adding default rule and a new os deploy it was working normally

Thursday, August 3, 2017 2:28 PM
  • I had this issue back in 1511.   It prompted me to move my desktop customization into other methods, such as MDT tasks, GPOs and powershell scripts on deployment, and for 1511 a DISM command to set the default taskbar in the user.dat (now removed with layoutmodification.xml working)

But to fix the issue with CopyProfile, what I had to do was delete this path on the image after sysprep.

“c:\Users\Default\AppData\LocalLow”

After that it behaved normally, but I didn't trust "CopyProfile=True" anymore.

According to MS Premier support, this was due to remnants in the Administrator profile being copied into the default profile.  We experienced things like IE Flash issues, "Desktop" shortcut in explorer pointing to the Administrator profile desktop and other. 

-Matt

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

• Edited by Matt5150 Monday, August 7, 2017 2:01 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Matt5150 Tuesday, August 8, 2017 5:09 PM
    Friday, August 4, 2017 8:55 PM
  • That is my issues as well.  All new profiles continue to point to C:\Users\Administrator -> instead of to their own profile for the above files.

Pretty sure that is why Edge is not working for them.

I tried deleting the folders above as mentioned out of the image, however the ESENT error message still appeared, and it took a long time for a new profile to be created.

So I gave Everyone full access to the Administrator profile - and viola...problem solved.

But - that is not ideal.  New profiles when created should not be pointing at the Administrator profile - they should be grabbing all settings from Default.  Any ideas?

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 5:16 PM
  • May have fixed it.  Along with deleting the files mentioned above, I also deleted the entire Administrator Profile, out of the image.

Now when I deploy the image to PC's, new users appear to be working properly.  ESENT errors in Event Viewer are gone, and Edge is working.

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 6:17 PM
  • I think I have created a working solution for my environment.

First, I did speak with MS SA support about this issue as it was crippling our image deployment. After a long journey, they supplied me with the workaround of adjusting the permissions to the Administrator user profile so that everyone could access it, or going a bit deeper and adjusting the permissions to the webcache.dat file. He also notified me that this was now officially entered as a bug (see below). The workaround wasn't suitable for our environment, so I put that aside and dug into the solutions posted above.

Quote of email from MS Support Engineer:

"BUG 2655918 - WCTAP: You lose access to the start menu after you run sysprep with the CopyProfile enabled. The bug states that start menu and other modern apps stop working if copy profiles are used. The PG is still investigating how they can get the copy profile feature to work with modern apps because the issue is caused by permissions being incorrect when copy profiles are used. And they need to find a way to correct permissions when they are used, without the user having to make any manual changes.

So, in summary, this is already filed as a bug and we can’t commit to a fixed date as the engineering team is still working on it."

What I needed was a way to automate the fixes. To do this I created an Active Setup registry key that runs a powershell script. The script is really simple, and is set up to wait 20 seconds then remove the necessary folders (which for me appears to only be C:\Users\Default\Local\...\Webcache\ & \INetCache\). I also set it up to remove the active setup key and the script itself (so that it doesn't try to run with each new user logging on). From my tests, it looks like deleting the key wasn't necessary, and doing so may even generate an additional eventlog application warning (haven't quite verified this, but iirc), but I chose to keep it in for now.

(also note that the 20s wait might be completely unnecessary as the first logon usually waits for these scripts to complete before finishing)

To create the Active Setup Key, I added this to one of my pre-generalize scripts I run, and make sure that the script is also deployed to the proper location:

REM Active Setup Key for CUBugFix
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\SysprepCUBugFix" /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\SysprepCUBugFix" /v StubPath /t REG_EXPAND_SZ /d "powershell.exe -NoProfile -ExecutionPolicy ByPass -File C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\CUBugFix.ps1" /f
    reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\SysprepCUBugFix" /v Version /t REG_SZ /d 1 /f

Then, the ps1 looks like this:

# This is designed to "fix" the Creator's Update Start Menu Bug.

# Waits 20 seconds to make sure folders are created before running
    start-sleep -s 20

# Removes WebCache, INetCache, Active Setup reg key, and this script itself
    Remove-Item C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\ -Force -Recurse
    Remove-Item C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\ -Force -Recurse
    Remove-Item 'hklm:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\SysprepCUBugFix' -Force -Recurse
    Remove-Item "C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep\CUBugFix.ps1" -Force
    With all of this, the computer is able to generalize with copy profile=true, boot for the first time, auto-login as admin, run the script invisibly, and I can continue to prep and deploy the image as normal. Future user profiles (local and domain) all seem to work (Start Menu, Apps, Edge) The main caveat of this is that the Admin profile seems to stay borked, but in our use case this is not an issue.
    Tuesday, October 10, 2017 7:09 PM
  • I would try to get away from copyprofile.  Existing profiles seem to have funny problems after sysprep.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 7:38 PM
  • I would try to get away from copyprofile.  Existing profiles seem to have funny problems after sysprep.

Since you mentioned this (which I have heard others say), what do you use instead of copyprofile, and what funny problems are you experiencing?

I haven't seen a 1:1 replacement that's as easy, so I would be interested to hear what you use, and for me personally, this is the first issue I've had with copyprofile.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 8:48 PM
  • Hello,

i have same problem here with 1703 with other user than administrator:

-Can't start IE (only if you start it with adm right it's working)

-Search index brocken

-Very long to load/close session

-Problem with O365

-Start menu broken (freeze many second)

All is fixe by deleting theses files???=>

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache, C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCacheLock.dat, as well as C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache from the Administrator 

Is microsoft solve that problem in the next update?? Copyprofile is a very good option for me.

Thx!

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 2:34 PM
  • yes, copy and paste these files into script that runs with sysprep

I also found an article suggesting "enable" cloud content. complete this before you have internet access on your image. no more bugging about updating apps or provisioned apps when running sysprep. plus i did remove a lot of pre-installed apps beforehand. 

gpedit.msc - Computer cofig - windows component - cloud content(need to enable to disenable) 

on some models, I cannot work in audit mode and have to create a "different" local account and use this account as the default to copy profile. 

the other item that I just tried and seems to be working is:

Kari's workaround regarding removing Desktop from QuickAccess does work regarding QuickAccess. Setup Win10 the way you like, defer upgrades as that will cause issues during sysprep. However, we can "make" it work. Albeit, we don't want upgrade junk on our master image, correct? This will just cause further headache down the road when attempting to remove default Apps/Provisioned apps via Powershell. Prior to Sysprep using copyprofile true; AFTER all programs are installed under the profile you are copying, take a gander at %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu in Explorer
    Now open another explorer window to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    Compare the shortcuts that are missing in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and the subdirectories. If you cut and paste those shortcuts from the respective path of your admin (sysprep) profile to the respective path of ProgramData, you will sleep much better at night.
    Now run sysprep with copyprofile "true". Tons of stuff will work. Including your start menu with your customized tiles.
    permalinkembed

Now that i finished and my new 1703 image made it through sysprep just fine. Other recently made images just using the script files to delete cache folders was a hit and miss if the image made it through sysprep without the start menu disappearing and some other oddities. 

Tuesday, October 31, 2017 6:48 PM
  • I am also having this problem when using the copyprofile = True when using unattend.xml and sysprep on Win10 1703 buid 15063.674. Does Microsoft have a fix?

Sunday, November 5, 2017 11:12 AM
  • COPYPROFILE has been known to cause issues with Windows 10.  You can do a quick search in this forum or on Google to see all of the issues.  Honestly the best method is to inject your settings into C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.dat

Here is a script that you can use as a starting point that will automatically inject settings into C:\Users\Default\NTUSER.dat:

http://joseespitia.com/2017/11/22/how-to-automatically-configure-your-default-profile/

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 9:23 PM
  • Hi:

Everyone's situation is a little different but here's what happened to me.  At the end is my workaround for the down-arrow tiles problem.

I had a nice "audit mode" image for Win10 v1607 (Anniversary Update) which I had been using for over a year.   I wanted to update this image to v1703 (Creators Update).  Unfortunately I can't find a way to install Creators Update when in "audit mode" so my method of upgrading my audit-mode image was as follows:

1) Copy my good v1607 audit-mode image to a PC

2) Create an account (i.e. "localadmin") and put it in the "Administrators" group

3) switch out of audit-mode by just just running the SysPrep that automatically opens whenever I boot into audit-mode (Action: "Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE)"; did NOT check box for "Generalize"; Shutdown Options: Reboot)

3) Login to OOBE with "localadmin" account

4) Install Creators Update using the "Update Assistant" (downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10).  Takes about an hour.

5) Uninstall the crapware "apps" which were provisioned for the "localadmin" account.  You need to do this otherwise there will be problems later when you are back in audit-mode and you want to unprovision the crapware.  I used these PowerShell commands to uninstall the crapware for "localadmin"

Get-appxpackage | remove-appxpackage

then

Get-appxpackage flaregamesGmbH.RoyalRevolt2 | remove-appxpackage

then

get-appxpackage Microsoft.BioEnrollment | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.AccountsControl | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.LockApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.PPIProjection | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.Apprep.ChxApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.AssignedAccessLockApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.SecondaryTileExperience | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.SecureAssessmentBrowser | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Windows.ContactSupport | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Windows.MiracastView | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Windows.PrintDialog | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage windows.immersivecontrolpanel | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.Cortana | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage 1527c705-839a-4832-9118-54d4Bd6a0c89 | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage c5e2524a-ea46-4f67-841f-6a9465d9d515 | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage CortanaListenUIApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage DesktopLearning | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage DesktopView | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage E2A4F912-2574-4A75-9BB0-0D023378 | remove-appxpackage592B
    get-appxpackage EnvironmentsApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage HoloCamera | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage HoloItemPlayerApp | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage HoloShell | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.CredDialogHost | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.HolographicFirstRun | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.ModalSharePickerHost | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkCaptivePortal | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkConnectionFlow | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI | remove-appxpackage
    get-appxpackage Microsoft.Windows.WindowPicker | remove-appxpackage

Yes, yes I know it seems crazy to do all these command but it's hard to remove this crapware with one command.  Even after all of this effort these 37 "apps" remained installed for localadmin account:

Microsoft.BioEnrollment Microsoft.AccountsControl Microsoft.LockApp Microsoft.PPIProjection Microsoft.Windows.Apprep.ChxApp Microsoft.Windows.AssignedAccessLockApp Microsoft.Windows.ParentalControls Microsoft.Windows.SecondaryTileExperience Microsoft.Windows.SecureAssessmentBrowser
    Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI Windows.ContactSupport Windows.MiracastView Windows.PrintDialog Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost windows.immersivecontrolpanel Microsoft.Windows.Cortana Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge Microsoft.Windows.ContentDeliveryManager
    1527c705-839a-4832-9118-54d4Bd6a0c89 c5e2524a-ea46-4f67-841f-6a9465d9d515 CortanaListenUIApp DesktopLearning DesktopView E2A4F912-2574-4A75-9BB0-0D023378592B EnvironmentsApp HoloCamera HoloItemPlayerApp HoloShell Microsoft.CredDialogHost Microsoft.Windows.HolographicFirstRun Microsoft.Windows.ModalSharePickerHost Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkCaptivePortal Microsoft.Windows.OOBENetworkConnectionFlow Microsoft.Windows.SecHealthUI Microsoft.Windows.WindowPicker

5) switch back to "audit mode" by running: C:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep /audit

Now back in audit-mode again ...

6) Delete the "localadmin" account (don't need it because in audit-mode it automatically logs into the "administrator" account)

7) Remove the profile for "localadmin" account (appears in the list as "Account unknown")

At this time NO TILES AT ALL are showing in audit-mode (which is what I want because in our environment I add all the needed tiles using a freeware utility in our domain login script)

8) Used administrative powerShell to get 38 updates: GET-WUINSTALL -ACCEPTALL

9) Ran Disk Cleanup to delete 11.3GB of junk

10) Checked disk structure by 1) rebooted      2) CHKDSK /F      3) Rebooted (again)

I only want to provision three (3) "apps" for my users - Microsoft.SkypeApp,  Microsoft.WindowsCalculator and Microsoft.WindowsMaps so the next two steps unprovision everything else and uninstall (for "administrator") as much as possible:

11) Use PowerShell to unprovision everything except the three apps I want:

get-appxprovisionedpackage -online | where-object {$_.displayname -notlike "*Skype*" -and $_.displayname -notlike "*Calculator*" -and $_.displayname -notlike "*WindowsMaps*"} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage -online

12) Use PowerShell to uninstall (for "administrator") all apps except the three apps I want:

get-appxpackage | where-object {$_.name -notlike "*Skype*" -and $_.name -notlike "*Calculator*" -and $_.name -notlike "*WindowsMaps*"-and $_.name -notlike "*MirraCast*"} | remove-appxpackage

Note, it's not possible to actually uninstall all the "apps" so it's normal for you to see the error message "This app is part of Windows and cannot be uninstalled on a per-user basis" many times.

And now, the moment you have been waiting for ... here's how to stop all the stupid down-arrow tiles from appearing in the OOBE image:

13) On any Windows 10 PC (perhaps not your audit-mode PC ... any Win10 PC) configure the tiles the way you like them and then export the tile settings to an XML file with a PowerShell command like:

export-startlayout -path c:\temp\nice_tiles.xml

Then, back on your audit-mode PC ...

14) Using notepad++ (or any text editor) replace the contents of these two files:

C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml

and

C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\LayoutModification.xml

with the XML that you saved earlier.   Personally I like the tiles to be 100% empty for my OOBE image because I add the tiles that the users need using a freeware tool in our login script so the XML  that I use is:

<LayoutModificationTemplate Version="1" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/LayoutModification">
      <LayoutOptions StartTileGroupCellWidth="6" />
      <DefaultLayoutOverride>
        <StartLayoutCollection>
          <defaultlayout:StartLayout GroupCellWidth="6" xmlns:defaultlayout="http://schemas.microsoft.com/Start/2014/FullDefaultLayout">
          </defaultlayout:StartLayout>
        </StartLayoutCollection>
      </DefaultLayoutOverride>
    </LayoutModificationTemplate>

15) Now, you will probably want to save your audit-mode image to your imaging server (for later editing)

16) Now, convert your audit-mode image to OOBE using commands like:

cd \windows\system32\SysPrep
    sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown /unattend:Custom_Unattend.xml

(note, my Custom_Unattend.xml does have copyprofile set to true)

When you eventually login to your OOBE image you will only see three tiles ... "Settings", "Store" (which will not work because I removed the "Store") app and "EDGE":

I am still trying to figure out a way to stop these three tiles (Settings, Store and EDGE) from being created.

I hope the above information is useful to someone.

In summary I would like to say that I've been building Windows images for almost 20 years.   I once spent six years maintaining the PC images for a LAN with over 12,000 PCs.   Users prefer a clean, fast, reliable image which provides snappy performance - they don't want their computers cluttered up with silly programs like Twitter, Candy Crush, etc.  It is sad that Microsoft has such bad judgement regarding what programs to deploy with their OS.  Microsoft's attempt to ram unwanted programs onto our computers is annoying.

Best of luck everyone!

Hello,

What about the search bar? Will it work after all of that? I am having a problem with my image that the searchbar is broken, it will not search anything, even cortana dont work. Didnt the CopyProfile TRUE, broke your image? 

Thanks in advance. 

Tuesday, April 10, 2018 1:53 PM

This has worked for me as well. I spent several days trying varied scripts to run as part of the MDT imaging process and all would fail when ran through MDT because these files were in use. Running my scripts manually worked fine.

I also noticed that when running the above commands, I am always getting a message stating the WebCacheLock.dat file could not be found. That doesn't really matter since it is a 0kb size file and doesn't contain any information.

Here's hoping Microsoft gets their stuff together and fixes this in the next feature update.

Tuesday, April 17, 2018 7:08 PM
  • thanks. work fine for me

www.juegosred.com En la Red de Redes

Thursday, June 7, 2018 7:06 AM