Direct Access (Server 2012) and Windows 8 RRS feed

• Question

• I have DA up and running for both Windows 7 and 8 clients.

When I try to access online and services I have problems however (for example Netflix, Steam, Xbox Music/Video, Windows Store, Skydrive, etc) whilst off the corp network - these are all fine when accessed from inside.

Whilst off-network, if I stop the IP Helper Service I can instantly access these services.

Any clues where I should start looking? 

Friday, May 31, 2013 6:01 AM

All replies

• OK so I have more info on this. Turns out that since we have WPAD implemented via DNS I'd missed adding an NRPT exception to the DA server config. I added this in and everything started working - sorted. Or so I thought:

I'm now getting a situation where the client sometimes works (after startup - in most cases, but certainly not consistently) and sometimes does not. When the client is not working DA access is fine but the aforementioned online services behave very erratically; sometimes working, sometimes not.

If I fire up NETMON I can see the affected apps/services trying to send proxy frames to our internal TMG server (the WPAD target) when they're off-network. On the occasions when it's working a check with NETMON reveals no packets heading to our TMG server - so there's definitely an issue on the client end.

Even more frustrating is the fact that I have another Win8 client working just fine. :'(

Monday, June 3, 2013 6:37 PM