none
Hyper-V Replication Issue: Size of change tracking file exceeded the maximum size limit. (0xC03A0021)

Question

• We have a database server that keeps sending us this error: Hyper-V Replica failed to switch the log file for change tracking for virtual machine 'xxxxxxxxx'. (Virtual machine ID xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) - Error: Size of change tracking file exceeded the maximum size limit. (0xC03A0021)

This usually messes with my replication, but it resynchronizes fine.

1) I'm not sure I understand what this error entails. What and where is the tracking log, and where can I expand the size limit of this tracking file? 2) I have a suspicion it has to so with resources on the machine. This is a database server with SQL server on it, and the issues usually occur when we're pushing this to production. This machine has dynamically expanding memory.

Does anyone have any input into this?

Best,

Friday, February 3, 2017 3:48 PM

All replies

• This may help you understand things - http://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/advanced-troubleshooting-of-hyper-v-replica-part-3/  Basically, you have to ensure there is enough storage available on the source system.

On a bit of a tangent ... you might want to look into built-in capabilities of SQL Server that can create DR solutions similar to what Hyper-V Replica is doing.  SQL Server has several different methods, even up to the point of automatic failover should the primary site become unavailable.

. : | : . : | : . tim

Friday, February 3, 2017 7:55 PM
  • Thanks, I'll look at the article. Thanks!
    Friday, February 3, 2017 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

Are there any updates?

You could mark the reply as answer if it is helpful. 

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 9, 2017 12:24 PM