none
Hyper-V not working after installing Remote Server Admin Tools for Windows 10

Question

• Hi Guys,

After installing the Remote Server Admin Tools (RSAT) for Windows 10 my Hyper V machine will not start. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this issue?

In the event viewer the errors are Hyper-V-Worker:

'xxx_machine' could not initialize. (Virtual machine ID XX6B9DCA-C50F-43EE-87CE-0EDAF56DAA5C)

And the Hyper-V-VMMS admin log:

'xxx_machine' failed to start. (Virtual machine ID XX6B9DCA-C50F-43EE-87CE-0EDAF56DAA5C)

Uninstalling the RSAT allows it to work again. The version I installed it the 64 bit one:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45520

Thanks,

Tim

• Edited by TimNow Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:25 AM formatting
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:22 AM

All replies

• Hi Tim,

I have never seen this strange phenomenon.

>>After installing the Remote Server Admin Tools (RSAT) for Windows 10 my Hyper V machine will not start.

You installed RSAT on Windows 10, are the VMs running on the same machine? Or, are you managing another Hyper-V server remotely?

Did you make any other changes?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 6:40 AM
  • Hi Leo,

Thanks for the response. I have the VMs running on the same machine. No other changes were made. From the RSAT I needed the AD management tools, I have found turning everything off except the tools I needed has worked too.

So in my case installing the RSAT with the default features on windows 10 with Hyper-V running VMs caused the VM not to start. Disabling all components except AD DS and AD LDS Tools (the one I needed) and restarting the machine has allowed the VM's to start again without the error.

Cheers,
    Tim

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 11:14 PM
  • Hi Tim,

The phenomenon seems strange. I suggest you post in Win10 forum to see if anyone has got the same:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home?forum=win10itprovirt

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 19, 2017 6:48 AM
  • Tim, I have the very same issue after many hours of troubleshooting, removing HV feature and reinstalling the feature, once I disable the 2016 v1.2 (rel 10/2016) RSAT tools, my VMs start. Moving onto the Win10 forum looking for a solution.
    Friday, January 27, 2017 4:25 PM