System Reserved Partition on SSD - Optimization Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Having just updated from Windows 8 Pro to Windows 8.1 Pro, I've noticed something strange in the Defrag and Optimization program. With Windows 8, my SSD was given the System Reserved partition and it has always been easily Optimized (Trimmed) by the Defrag and Optimization program. All other partitions would Trim or Defrag(for HDDs) as well. With Windows 8.1, the System Reserved partition shows that it has never been optimized and needs optimization; however, it will not optimize (or at least it does not register a change in the "never been" and "needs optimization" labels. All other partitions optimize or defrag as before with no problems. Any idea what is going on? Is this a bug in the new release? Thanks.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 5:19 AM

All replies

• Denny,

Thanks for your reply.  I understand that one is not supposed to defrag an SSD.  It is unfortunate that the program "Defrag and Optimize" includes both in its title.  By default, this program will only enable the TRIM command upon application to an SSD.  What I was asking is why the TRIM of the System Reserved partition of my SSD would easily engage with Windows 8 Pro, but does not appear to engage in Windows 8.1 Pro. To anyone, especially a Microsoft employee monitoring this thread -- is this a bug in the new Windows 8.1 Pro, or is there a setting that I am not aware of in the new Optimizer?  The very message from within the Defrag and Optimizer program is that it has never run and needs to be run.  This does not affect the other partition on the SSD and my HDDs.

Thanks for your attention to my question.

Lou 

Monday, October 21, 2013 10:24 PM
  • Verify your SSD is running in AHCI mode.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:49 AM
  • The problem is related to Windows 8.1 RTM version.

Previously on Windows 8 i've no problem on SSD optimization task (both "C:\" and "System reserved" partitions), but from Windows 8.1 install (clean installation) i notice the problem on "System reserved" partition optimization task.

It appear in "Need optimization" state and if i try to run it manually it doesn't work and produce an event in "Event Viewer".

I run Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64 English.

Any suggestions?

Thanks 

Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Windows 8 optimize disks does not defragment SSD, windows 8 recognizes that it's an SSD an instead sends a trim command to hard drive. If you do not do this on semi regular frequency the performance of the SSD will drop considerably over time.
    Thursday, January 23, 2014 9:21 PM
  • Alcode, that's not really true.  The OS sends TRIM commands to the SSD for every file it deletes.   If nothing major goes wrong the SSD should never need maintenance TRIM commands.  Beyond that, all modern SSDs do their own internal maintenance.  The Windows optimization feature is just a background activity to make sure if all else fails the deleted space is truly erased.  You should read up more on how SSDs work to avoid spreading false information.

To speak to the original issue mentioned in this thread...  WinSAT needs to have run for your system to know whether you're running an SSD vs. a HDD.  That activity is normally scheduled in the Task Scheduler (look for it in the Task Scheduler Library > Microsoft > Windows > Maintenance section to see if it has run).

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Friday, January 24, 2014 5:26 AM
  • hi to all, i have the same Problem as Window8.1-Lou. but i think the problem is misunderstood! we know that SSD needs to be TRIMed instead of Defrag ,but after i updated from WIN 8.0 to WIN 8.1 , there is no way to TRIM the system reserved Drive. Windows Maintenance and Windows Defrag simply refuse to TRIM that Small partition and make some Errors in Event Viewer. in Windows Defrag and "current Status" it shows "57 days since last run" and it's the Exact date of Upgrading to WIN 8.1 !! 

I should note that I've run Winsat Manually after Update and the main SSD Partition TRIM without any Problem and this is the issue only with System Reserved Drive.

vista tester 2010

• Edited by mike2010new Friday, January 24, 2014 6:47 AM
    Friday, January 24, 2014 6:45 AM
  • Just disable it so the system doesn't try...

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options

Friday, January 24, 2014 6:54 AM