none
Map drives disappearing during GPO background refresh on Windows 2012 R2.

Question

• Hi guys,

I have small project: move users from the old terminal server based on Windows 2008 R2 to the new terminal server based on Windows 2012 R2. Both servers are virtual and on the same Hyper-v server. Everything went smooth, however after one day "test user" started to complain that Explorer crashes. I checked everything and I didn't find anything interesting. I asked user for password and login like him to the New Terminal server. I opened all apps plus Explorer and noticed that at one point Explorer starts to flickering and and some of the windows closed (taskbar still exist). Windows which were closed are Explorer windows with shares from File Server on the same Hyper-v server. I troubleshooted it, network etc. ALL OK.

Than I opened once again shares in Explorer and run gpupdate /force and I had the same result like user. My windows with shares closed in background.

GPO settings which deploy for Users who use Terminal Servers. I don’t have any problems on Windows 2008 R2.

I have solved problem changing  option "Remove this item when it is no longer applied" plus I have changed Action to Update. However any idea why this happens?

Luca

Friday, November 27, 2015 1:38 AM

Answers

• > I have solved problem changing  option "Remove this item when it is no
    > longer applied" plus I have changed Action to Update. However any idea
    > why this happens?

Yes. Starting with Win8 (or was it 8.1? Doesn't matter), GPP Drive maps
    is invoked not only at logon, but at background refresh, too.

If you set your mappings to "replace", they are first disconnected, then
    reconnected.

To avoid that, use one of the following solutions:

a) http://gpsearch.azurewebsites.net/#4852 - enable "Do not apply during
    periodic background processing".

drive map, enable Item Level Targeting for GPO processing mode, create a
    filter for Mode "is not" background/async

Friday, November 27, 2015 9:20 AM