none
Need to know best practice for Hyper-V 2016 NIC teaming and also assistance with NIC teaming Commands

Question

• Hi Team,

My client Hyper-V Network architecture has been configured as below:

1. Physical Switches : LACP configuration for HA

2. 4 pNICs connected to Hyper-V host from Physical switches in LACP configuration

3. 2 NIC Teams created out of 4 pNICs with LACP Teaming Mode and Dynamic load balancing algorithm

4. First team would be used for Management and Virtual Machines external network

5. Second team would be used for Cluster (CSV&HB), Live Migration and Backup

6. So we create one vNIC from Team1 vSwitch and Three vNICs from vSwitch

Kindly let me know if above configuration is appropriate and in sync with MS best practice ? Or if you have any better recommendation kindly suggest.

Assistance for NIC teaming Powershell Commands:

While creation of NIC team is it an good practice to disable allow management OS option ?

1. Now while creating the vSwitch1 I do disable Allow management Option via Powershell but when i execute command to create Management vNIC from the switch it Automatically enables allow management option as well as it assigns an VLAN specific for Management to that switch. Kindly guide me how I can get rid of this ?

2. For vSwitch2 I do disable allow management OS option while creation. I create 3 vNICs from vSwitch2 and somehow allow management option gets enabled but not the VLANID.

• Edited by Sugan Raj Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:26 AM
    Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:24 AM

All replies

• 1. Now while creating the vSwitch1 I do disable Allow management Option via Powershell but when i execute command to create Management vNIC from the switch it Automatically enables allow management option as well as it assigns an VLAN specific for Management to that switch. Kindly guide me how I can get rid of this ?

That makes sense, if you create a management vNIC on your Hyper-V Host you need to enable Allow management operating system to share this network adapter option. If you do not want to share the network adapter with your Hyper-V Host you would need to have a dedicated network adapter for management. 

2. For vSwitch2 I do disable allow management OS option while creation. I create 3 vNICs from vSwitch2 and somehow allow management option gets enabled but not the VLANID.

Can you paste your PowerShell cmdled? I'm guessing the same as previews answer. If you are creating management vNIC's, the option share this network adapter will be enabled. 

Microsoft Certified Professional

[If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster. ]

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 5:35 AM
  • Hi,
    Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, June 8, 2018 9:33 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved? 

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,
    Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:34 AM