stuck waking from hibernation; KB not recognized RRS feed

• Question

• I was steered over here by a moderator at the Windows 7 forums, so I hope you can help.  Here is my story:

It looks like a problem with my RAM has stuck me in a problem I can't get out of.  I have Windows (Win 7 x64) wake from hibernation every night to run scheduled tasks overnight, after which it shuts down.  Last time, apparently on attempting to wake, there was a problem with my RAM such that only 2 of 6GB were recognized by the system.  As a result, Windows was stuck while trying to resume from hibernation and when I found my PC this morning Windows asked whether I wanted to restart the system and lose the unsaved data from hibernation.  (I also can tell that this is likely when it happened because the first scheduled task is to run a backup on my Windows Home Server, and that never happened.)

Fine so far.  I would have been happy to restart fresh, but here's where the real problem arose (at least the one for this forum).  Windows does not recognize my keyboard (Logitech G15 on USB), and so does not allow me to press Enter in order to restart.  I have tried multiple USB ports, including one I could verify had juice (it was recharging my Droid at the time), but none worked.  Oddly, when I rebooted I could get into BIOS and used the keyboard just fine there.  It was only when POST was finished and Windows tried to restart that the keyboard no longer worked.  So, the problem does not appear to be with the keyboard or the MB's USB ports.

So, I'm stuck.  I'd like to abandon the wake from hibernation and start Windows fresh, but it won't let me until I press Enter confirming that's what I want to do.  And even though my PC recognizes my keyboard, Windows doesn't.  My next step is to scrounge my office and friends for other keyboards to test, but in the meantime, is there another solution?

I should add that if necessary I can just do a full restore of my system using the image from my Windows Home Server, but I'd rather not go through all those steps just yet.  And I assume I'll still have to do additional tests regarding the RAM issue after I get Windows to start properly.

Thanks for any help you can provide...

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Quick update: I tested another USB keyboard, but that didn't work either.  Again, the KB worked fine entering BIOS, but once Windows started it was no longer responsive.  That meant I again could not proceed past the warning screen about unsuccessfully waking from hibernation.  I was unable to locate a PS2 KB, and so cannot test whether this problem is USB-specific.

So, now I wonder whether it makes sense simply to restore my system from the image on my Windows Home Server rather than mess with this further.  Is there any downside to doing so, from a system stability standpoint once it's restored (apart from solving my separate RAM problem)?  Will restoring in this way get me out of this endless loop?  Does anyone recommend an alternative course of action?

Either my problem is completely obvious to everyone but me, or it has everyone stumped, because I have yet to receive a response either in this forum or in the "Microsoft Answers" Win7 Hardware & Drivers forum.  If anyone has a suggestion on how I ought to proceed to once again have a working PC, please let me know!  Thanks...

Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:42 AM
  •  

Hi,

Based on my research, I would like to suggest the following:

1.    Please ensure the BIOS and the drivers are all up-to-date. Please also remove and reinstall the chipset driver.

2.    Boot to Clean Boot environment and have a check:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

3.    Disable Power Saving function of the keyboard:

1)    Click Start, right click on Computer and choose Properties.

2)    Click Device Manager in the left pane.

3)    Navigate to the keyboard, right click on it and choose Properties.

4)    Go to Power Management tab.

5)    Please uncheck “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

6)    Restart the computer and check if it works.

4.    Please also try the methods in the following Knowledge Base articles:

The wireless keyboard and mouse become unresponsive for a while after you try to resume a Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or Windows 7-based computer from sleep

Troubleshoot problems waking computer from sleep mode

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Nicholas Li Friday, October 29, 2010 6:02 AM
    Friday, October 22, 2010 8:26 AM