none
forward message to next mx record prefrences

Question

• Dears 

After reading log files i found the Exchange server delay around 24 hours to forward message to next mx record preferences for many messages what could reason is i can adjust this configuration?

Sunday, May 8, 2016 1:29 PM

Answers

• its outbound i mean  there is configuration in exchange to configure the timeout period for first mx record before forward to next mx record

antoher mx resrver is working fine i means is there is configuration in exchange to configure the timeout period for first mx record before forward to next mx record

If the higher priority mx is not available, then Exchange should follow the RFCs and automatically try the lower priority mx record. There is nothing to configure. If that is not happening, then either its a bug, or Exchange is actually able to contact the primary MX but its not accepting the messages and issuing a 4XX response. 

Enable protocol logging on the send connector and see what the actual SMTP conversation looks like

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531(v=exchg.150).aspx

Blog:    Twitter:   

Monday, May 9, 2016 12:30 PM

All replies

• Check that your MX record with the lowest priority/preference is responding and accepting messages for your domain.

Patrik

Sunday, May 8, 2016 3:20 PM
  • Dears 

After reading log files i found the Exchange server delay around 24 hours to forward message to next mx record preferences for many messages what could reason is i can adjust this configuration?

Inbound or Outbound? Are these messages being sent to your org or from? If the primary mx record is not responding, a mail server should automatically try the next mx record. There is no "forwarding"

P.S. Lower priority MX records are of little value in most cases.

Sunday, May 8, 2016 3:45 PM
  • antoher mx resrver is working fine i means is there is configuration in exchange to configure the timeout period for first mx record before forward to next mx record

Monday, May 9, 2016 12:00 PM
  • its outbound i mean  there is configuration in exchange to configure the timeout period for first mx record before forward to next mx record

antoher mx resrver is working fine i means is there is configuration in exchange to configure the timeout period for first mx record before forward to next mx record
    Monday, May 9, 2016 12:02 PM

If the higher priority mx is not available, then Exchange should follow the RFCs and automatically try the lower priority mx record. There is nothing to configure. If that is not happening, then either its a bug, or Exchange is actually able to contact the primary MX but its not accepting the messages and issuing a 4XX response. 

Enable protocol logging on the send connector and see what the actual SMTP conversation looks like

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb124531(v=exchg.150).aspx

Monday, May 9, 2016 12:30 PM
  • No, the MX record with the lowest preference is tested first

- if it is OK Exchange will send to that server

- If it is NOT OK Exchange will try to send to the server with second lowest preference any and continue until it can either deliver the message OR there are no more server to test

Patrik

• Edited by Patrik L Monday, May 9, 2016 1:24 PM Corrected to reflect Andy's comment
    Monday, May 9, 2016 12:34 PM
  • No, the MX record with the lowest preference/priority is tested first

- if it is OK Exchange will send to that server

- If it is NOT OK Exchange will try to send to the server with second lowest preference/priority, if any and continue until it can either deliver the message OR there are no more server to test

Patrik

Higher priority means lower preference number.  Low priority means higher preference number - not lowest preference. They are mutually exclusive in terminology.

Monday, May 9, 2016 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

Agree with Andy.The lowest preference is the MX with the highest priority, ie the one that a sending mail server should try first.

In general,the purpose of multiple MX records is to either:

Provide some load balancing by using multiple MX records with the same preference set

Provide a backup MX that can be used if the primary one is unavailable

I suggest you have a look at the following article to get more infos about MX record:

http://exchangeserverpro.com/mx-record/  

Please note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

David

Tuesday, May 10, 2016 2:40 AM