Vista locking up whenever i i try to move or use a file on desk top. RRS feed

• Question

• not shure is this is the right place to post this.
    my laptop blue screened last week, so i used a linux livecd to boot and get my important files of the desk top onto an External hard drive.

so after reformatting, reinstalling windows and patching it up with windows updater i placed all my files from External drive to desk top. mostly jpg,mp3 and video files but after that iv been having problems with windows slowing down then windows explorer locking up whenever i open or move a file or when i try to watch any video or mp3 file even the ones not from External drive.

i can open internet and use tabs but when i open in same window i ussualy locks up and then i get a not responding anymore .
    every thing Lock's up when using file management.

iv completely whiped my pc 3 times now and started with a fresh os install but it always comes back to this. so my computer is almost unusable.

anyone know whats causing this or how to fix it?
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for posting!

As I understand, reinstalling operation system can't fix the issue. Then the issue may lie in hardware side.

Please refer to the following artical to check the result on the memory side:

How do I know if my computer has a memory problem

Meanwhile, we can run chkdsk.exe. Chkdsk (Chkdsk.exe) is a command-line tool that checks volumes for problems. The tool then tries to repair any that it finds. For example, Chkdsk can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors. To use Chkdsk, you must log on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

Click Start, type chkdsk and right click on chkdsk.exe and choose "Run as administrator". A DOS like windows prompt and you can see the detailed report.

Meanwhile,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:50 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thank you for posting!

As I understand, reinstalling operation system can't fix the issue. Then the issue may lie in hardware side.

Please refer to the following artical to check the result on the memory side:

How do I know if my computer has a memory problem

Meanwhile, we can run chkdsk.exe. Chkdsk (Chkdsk.exe) is a command-line tool that checks volumes for problems. The tool then tries to repair any that it finds. For example, Chkdsk can repair problems related to bad sectors, lost clusters, cross-linked files, and directory errors. To use Chkdsk, you must log on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group.

Click Start, type chkdsk and right click on chkdsk.exe and choose "Run as administrator". A DOS like windows prompt and you can see the detailed report.

Meanwhile,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, November 12, 2010 8:50 AM
  • Specifically run chkdsk /r (start>run>type cmd> at the command prompt type chkdsk /r) windows will ask if it should schedule chkdsk at next startup, say yes, then restart.
    Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, November 15, 2010 12:32 AM