none
How to get the full TS logs? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

At the end of my task sequence, the logs are copied to the server from %_smstslogpath%. However, when I look at the TS logs, I only have the task sequence engine logs since the last restart of the machine. Everything before that does not appear. is there any way to get the full TS log results from start to end including the Winpe stuff and OS stuff regardless of number of restarts?

Thanks

David Z

Thursday, October 17, 2013 2:39 AM

All replies

• Are you talking about deployement logs?

Check the target machine --> Temp folder --> Deployment logs

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:52 AM
  •  

MDT creates the following log files:

• BDD.log. This is the aggregated MDT log file that is copied to a network location at the end of the deployment if you specify the SLShare property in the Customsettings.ini file.
    • LiteTouch.log. This file is created during LTI deployments. It resides in %WINDIR%\TEMP\DeploymentLogs unless you specify the /debug:true option.
    • Scriptname.log. This file is created by each MDT script. Scriptname represents the name of the script in question.
    • SMSTS.log. This file is created by the Task Sequencer and describes all Task Sequencer transactions. Depending on the deployment scenario, it may reside in %TEMP%, %WINDIR%\System32\ccm\logs, or C:\_SMSTaskSequence, or C:\SMSTSLog.
    • Wizard.log. The deployment wizards create and update this file.
    • WPEinit.log. This file is created during the Windows PE initialization process and is useful for troubleshooting errors encountered while starting Windows PE.
    • DeploymentWorkbench_id.log. This log file is created in the %temp% folder when you specify a /debug when starting the Deployment Workbench.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by Hollanders, Rens Thursday, October 17, 2013 7:47 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by David Zemdegs Friday, October 18, 2013 10:07 AM
    Thursday, October 17, 2013 5:37 AM
  • Thanks. I'm familiar with the logs. Its just that my TSlog only has info about the task sequence execution from the last restart of the machine, not the whole task sequence. I was looking to find the whole tslog from the beginning of winpe to the end of the OS install and post install.

Cheers

David Z

Thursday, October 17, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Try this: SLShareDynamicLogging=\\SERVERNAME\Logs$

You'll want to add that to your customsettings.ini file as it'll add dynamic logging. It's useful for troubleshooting, especially when a deployment doesn't finish out.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 9:41 PM
  • Thanks. As I mentioned, I am copying the logs to the server. Its just that my TSLOG only shows what happened since the last reboot, not since the very start of the task sequence.

Cheers

David Z

Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:13 PM
  • You did not mention that you have dynamic logging turned on. This is different than just specifying the slshare path and having the logs copied at the end of the sequence. Dynamic logging will keep track of everything in real time and will store the logs at the slshare path you set. Also if you can, get a copy of the Configuration Manager Trace Log Tool to help you read the logs easier. Does the task sequence that you're running have any scripts that clean out MININT at some point during the sequence?
    Friday, October 18, 2013 1:23 PM
  • Thanks. I know about cmtrace.

I just copy everything from %_smstslogpath% at the end of the task sequence. In terms of smsts.log is this how it works?

Winpe adds to smsts.log within the X drive.

At the end of winpe when booting to the OS, this log is lost and a new one is created on the C drive.

Everytime you restart the OS, the smsts.log is overwritten.

That is how it appears to operate and would explain why my log only has stuff since the last restart.

Cheers

David Z

Saturday, October 19, 2013 1:26 AM
  • This is a big help for what I need:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/system_center_configuration_manager_operating_system_deployment_support_blog/archive/2011/10/12/how-to-change-logging-options-for-smsts-log-in-system-center-configuration-manager-2007.aspx

Just note that for SCCM 2012, the osdinjection file is only in the x64 folder, not the i386 folder as specified in this article.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:52 AM
  • So I have added steps to copy the logs to a server share before every machine restart as that is the only way it seems that I can the entire TS logging.

I wish it would do an append on restart.

Friday, November 8, 2013 2:18 AM