Windows Defender RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

What is the recommendation regarding Defender and FCS?

Is the spyware client in FCS actually Defender?

I have read web threads that say Defender should not be installed on clients that have FCS on them, and some say that FCS will no longer download updates from WSUS if Defender has also been rolled out to the client.

I would like to have the maximum protection from malware on my clients, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 10:56 AM

Answers

• Hi,

FCS on it's own will give your clients both anti-virus and anti-spyware protection. There is no need to have Defender also. There is no problem having defender and FCS on the same box however defender will shut down when it detects FCS and FCS will supply the anti-spyware protection.

hope this helps.

/Johan 

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:27 PM

All replies

• Hi,

FCS on it's own will give your clients both anti-virus and anti-spyware protection. There is no need to have Defender also. There is no problem having defender and FCS on the same box however defender will shut down when it detects FCS and FCS will supply the anti-spyware protection.

hope this helps.

/Johan 

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 7:27 PM
  • On Vista Defender is part of the OS so the FCS install will shut down Defender.  On XP you need to uninstall Defender before installing the FCS client.
    CSS Security Support Engineer (FCS/MBSA/WUA/Incident Response)
    Friday, May 30, 2008 2:56 PM