Not seeing VMs I own in AppController RRS feed

• Question

• I've got several VMs deployed via VMM console which show me as the owner. When I log into AppController and open the cloud the VMs are deployed within I see nothing. Any ideas?

William Busby, PMP

Monday, August 27, 2012 4:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi William,

Are you the member of multiple user roles in VMM?

If you are, when you log into App Controller and VMM you will be presented with a screen that asks you to select a role. Ensure that the role you are selecting when logging into App Controller is the same role that you are selecting when logged into VMM.

Ownership of virtual machines in VMM is the combination of your account and your user role. VMM treats each of these as being different users. If you are the member of multiple user roles you can use the sharing function (found in the properties page of a virtual machine in App Controller) to share the virtual machine with your other user role.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Richard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 6:18 PM
  • Richard, appreciate you taking the time to respond. Is there a document that describes the relationship between the account/user role and how this impacts the visibility of VMs and resource utilization?

I'm trying to puzzle out an implementation that allows all members of a user role to have the same view of their cloud (i.e., they all see the same list of VMs and resource quota consumption) regardless of which user in the user role created the VM.

William Busby, PMP

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 7:38 PM
  • Hi William,

The VMM documentation is the best place to look:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg610573.aspx

If you want all role members to share ownership of all virtual machines that any member creates, create a security group in Active Directory and assign that group to the user role. http://technet.microsoft.com/library/gg610613.aspx

Kind Regards,

Richard

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:35 PM