Linked Mailbox Delegation in a Trusted Forest RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,
    I have a question in regards to delegation of Linked Mailbox in a trusted forest. Below is my scenario:
    Company A = MIC (Exchange 2010)
    Company B = SIM (Exchange 2010)

Recently, MIC and SIM recently merged. They've setup a two-way trust and already accomplished free/busy looks and GAL sync. 

They want to have a mailbox in which both companies (MIC and SIM) can access to collaborate on official Day 1 of the merger in other to answer requests, questions, etc on both side. 

It was determined that a Linked Mailbox will be needed (Account / Resource forest ).
    Linked Mailbox will be setup as below:
    SIM created a disabled Mail-Enabled user call "Unified Mailbox"
    MIC created a Linked Mailbox which points to "Unified Mailbox" object 
    Since MIC is hosting the actual mailbox, the admin gives a user (John Neal) from SIM FullAccess and SendAs to the mailbox by specifying John UPN (SIM\JNeal)

MIC OWA = email.mic.com/owa
    SIM OWA = email.sim.com/owa

Questions:
    How would John Neal access the mailbox from SIM in Outlook and OWA?
    Is that all that is needed to make Linked Mailbox work?
    Is there any firewall that needs to be opened for this to work?

Should John connects to SIM OWA or MIC OWA to access the mailbox?

Also, what is the correct configuration in terms of the primarySMTPAddress? Should it be Unified_Mailbox@sim.com or Unified_Mailbox@mic.com?

In summary: If you've setup a Linked Mailbox in a trusted forest before, how did you setup the Delegation (Both FullAccess and SendAs). I'll appreciate answers from those who had setup one before. 

Thanks

T.

Tunde

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 5:28 PM

All replies

• >> How would John Neal access the mailbox from SIM in Outlook and OWA?

He must connect to the server that hosts the mailbox, so he connects to the domain the server is in.  When he authenticates, he puts in the credentials of his account which is in the account domain.
    >> Is that all that is needed to make Linked Mailbox work?

Most certainly not.  You'll probably need to share DNS, and you're going to need some network configuration if it hasn't already been done.
    >> Is there any firewall that needs to be opened for this to work?

Of course, Outlook must be able to connect to the servers.  The browser must be able to connect to the servers.
    >> Should John connects to SIM OWA or MIC OWA to access the mailbox?

He connects to the OWA that hosts the mailbox.

>> Also, what is the correct configuration in terms of the primarySMTPAddress? Should it be Unified_Mailbox@sim.com or Unified_Mailbox@mic.com?

It can be either, depending on how you've configured accepted domains and your mail routing.  Both servers could conceivably host mail for both domains, but you are warned that you can create a great big mess trying to make that work.

You might consider hiring a consultant because what you're trying to do is complex and I think you could use some help understanding exactly what you're going to get and what you're not going to get in regards to collaboration.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 12:04 AM
  • Thanks Ed.

Yes, most Network/DNS/Firewall configuration is already done. I just needed to truly grasp the Linked Mailbox delegation concept and the information you provided is good enough for me.

Thanks

T.

Tunde

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 12:11 AM