none
PAC file testing under Internet Explorer 10. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks,

Has support for the EnableAutoProxyResultCache registry entry outlined in this support article ceased to be supported as of IE10? The fact IE10 isn't listed in the "applies to" section would indicate so, but I just want to double-check.

I need to do some testing of an auto-configuration script and cannot for the life of me get IE10 to request the PAC file for each new request. The problem I have is if the above method is no longer supported, I'm not sure what options I have as I'm not having a lot of luck searching for an alternative applicable to IE10 and later.

Cheers,
    Lain

Thursday, January 9, 2014 9:04 AM

All replies

• PAC file not working in IE10

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/790abbeb-0747-4414-9917-63a0e5597adb/pac-file-not-working-in-ie10?forum=ieitprocurrentver

How did you use the PAC file, IEM is no longer supported in IE 10 and later, you can use GPP to deploy these settings instead.

Replacements for Internet Explorer Maintenance

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj890998.aspx

Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:17 AM
  • Hi jzmine,

Unfortunately, that thread and the additional references contained within do no relate to the issue I've been having.

The PAC file is hosted on a web server - as is normally the case.

IE10 does indeed read the PAC file and correctly process it (confirmed with Message Analyzer). The problem is it will only read it once and then caches it - where, I don't know, but I can't see any indicators on the file system nor the Connections key buried under HKCU.

The registry setting from my initial post should effectively instruct IE to read it every time, which is useful when debugging changes. I've also tried the "disable caching of auto-proxy scripts" group policy setting to no effect.

In the interim, I've settled on a workaround which at least allows me to promptly make changes and test them, which is to copy the PAC file to my computer and use a file:// reference in the IE10 automatic configuration script setting in the Connections tab. It's not an ideal solution but it's good enough for now.

I'm not understanding how your suggestion about group policy preferences relates to replacing PAC functionality. You can certainly specify which PAC file to use via GPP, but there is no substitute for what you can programmatically achieve via a PAC file.

Cheers,
    Lain

• Edited by Lain Robertson Monday, January 13, 2014 2:53 AM Spelling correction.
    Monday, January 13, 2014 2:25 AM