none
Moving or switching protected servers from one DPM 2010 server to another DPM 2010 server fails

Question

• I’m running DPM 2010 (version 3.0.7707.0) on three M.S. Windows Server 2008 Ent.  servers. (two are R2 SP1 and one is just SP2)  I setup tape library sharing with  three HP MSL4048 tape libraries assigning one of the DPM servers as the library server (R2 SP1).  The other two DPM servers are client library servers.  I have been tasked with re-balancing the load between the three DPM servers by migrating protected servers to other DPM servers.  I’m getting the following errors when adding protection on another DPM server:  One or more of the selected data sources are already configured for protection on the primary DPM server.  When you switch back protection, the replicas of these data sources will be protected from the primary DPM server.  (ID: 31162)  DPM will add the members to the selected protection group on the new DPM server but gives them a status of “Unable to configure protection”  I have attempted the following two processes and get the same results either way:

A.

Perform on old DPM server:

Stop protection of members

Perform on protected Server:

Set Step:

On the protected server, open a command prompt window and browse to the "bin" directory of your DPM Agent install (default is "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin") and run the following command:

Example:

SetDpmServer.exe –dpmServerName [DPMSERVERNAME]

Perform on new DPM server:

Attach Step:

From the DPM Management Shell!

PS D:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin>

Example:

Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 [DPMSERVERNAME] [PS] [USER ACCOUNT] <PASSWORD> [DOMAIN]

Perform on old DPM server:

Remove record from old DPM server by uninstalling the client protection agent from the Administrator Console

Perform on new DPM server:

Setup protection for migrated server on new DPM Server

B.

• On the old DPM server you need to go into the DPM admin console and remove the protected server that you want to move from protection. You will need to go to the Protection tab and stop protection.

You will then need to go to the Management area and the Agents tab and disable to protection agent.

• Now go to the protected server and re-point the DPM agent to the new DPM server. Here is how you can set the agent to the new DPM server: Open an elevated command prompt and navigate to %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin once you are in this directory run the command:

SetDpmServer.exe -dpmServerName YOURDPMSERVERNAME

• Now go to the new DPM server open the DPM Management Shell (DMS) and type: 

Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 -DPMServer YOURDPMSERVERNAME -PSName YOURPROTECTEDSERVERNAME -UserName YOURUSERNAME -Password YOURPASSWORDHERE -Domain YOURDOMAIN

That should wrap it up. Your protected server now is pointed to the new DPM server and the new DPM server knows it is protecting your server.

What is the correct procedure for moving protected servers from one DPM server to another?  My first process used to work but its been awhile since I used it.  Does anyone know how to fix this issue?    

Thursday, October 4, 2012 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi MPeterson,

What you have is  (DPM1 protecting-> DPM2 protecting --> DPM3 protecting -> DPM1) and that is equivelent to each acting as secondary DPM servers. This means that you cannot move any protected servers from any DPM servers by means of unprotecting it on one and reprotecting it on the other.  It's basically a love triangle.  You would need to move protected servers to a 4th DPM server that had no relationships with the other three.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by MJPPhoenix Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:54 PM
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 12:00 AM

All replies

• Hi

Apparently, you have a secondary DPM Server that is or was protecting the old and new DPM server that you are attempting to move the protected server to.

We have customer facing documentation stating that the above senarios are not supported.

See COMMUNITY COMMENT under the following technet article:

Setting up DPM Chaining
     http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg410636.aspx

Under the heading: "Moving protected servers between DPM servers while under secondary protection is not supported"

If you call MS support, they can clean up secondary DPM server to allow the unprotected server to be re-protected.   

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, October 4, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Mike Jachquet,

Thank you for your reply.  I read the Setting up DPM Chaining article you mentioned.  My three DPM servers are setup to protect one another but we have not setup secondary protection for the data sources protected by each DPM server.  Basically each DPM server protects another DPM servers local volumes, system protection, application data and SQL Databases.  Is this configuration still considered secondary?  (How do I determine primary vs. secondary?)  I'm trying to move DPM protected servers to a different DPM server not DPM servers to other DPM servers.  (Not sure if that was clear) Thank you for your time.  If I need to use the switch protection method do you have a preferred document reference for this procedure.

Thanks,

Michael Peterson    

Friday, October 5, 2012 9:15 PM
  • Hi MPeterson,

What you have is  (DPM1 protecting-> DPM2 protecting --> DPM3 protecting -> DPM1) and that is equivelent to each acting as secondary DPM servers. This means that you cannot move any protected servers from any DPM servers by means of unprotecting it on one and reprotecting it on the other.  It's basically a love triangle.  You would need to move protected servers to a 4th DPM server that had no relationships with the other three.

• Marked as answer by MJPPhoenix Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:54 PM
    Saturday, October 6, 2012 12:00 AM
  • Hi Mike Jacquet,

Thank you for your time and assistance with this issue.  I'm thinking about changing the protection for these DPM servers from DPM based protection to another backup product we also use.  Ounce the DPM servers are no longer protecting each other will the secondary status automatically resolve it-self and allow me to move protected servers between DPM servers or will there be additional clean-up steps required?

Thanks,

MJPPHOENIX

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:03 PM
  • Hi,

Unfortunately, just removing protection from all DPM servers does not clean all the DPMDB SQL tables related to secondary protection.  We do have internal scripts that can clean up DPMDB, but that would require you to open a support ticket.

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 10:17 PM