none
Win7 system will not process computer policy

Question

• I have 1 win7 system that will not process the computer gpo. Other systems are fine. If I run gpupdate /force I get the error: The processing of group policy failed. windows could not apply the registry-based policy setting for the group policy object local GPO. 

We tried removing it from the domain and add it back in..no help. 

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 1:10 PM

Answers

• > processing of group policy failed. windows could not apply the
    > registry-based policy setting for the group policy object local GPO.

Do you use local GPOs? I assume "no", so go ahead and delete
    %Windir%\System32\GroupPolicy on this machine.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

The error “The processing of group policy failed. windows could not apply the registry-based policy setting for the group policy object local GPO.” Was pointing for local policy corruption.

Please try the below steps to resolve this issue:

1. Rename (or delete) C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Registry.pol
    2. Start > run > cmd (as admin)
    3. Gpedit.msc
    4. Below administrative templates change a (not matter which) setting and then revert it. This will trigger the creation of a new registry.pol file
    5. gpupdate /force
    6. Gpo’s should process correctly now

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 2:37 AM

All replies

• > processing of group policy failed. windows could not apply the
    > registry-based policy setting for the group policy object local GPO.

Do you use local GPOs? I assume "no", so go ahead and delete
    %Windir%\System32\GroupPolicy on this machine.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

The error “The processing of group policy failed. windows could not apply the registry-based policy setting for the group policy object local GPO.” Was pointing for local policy corruption.

Please try the below steps to resolve this issue:

1. Rename (or delete) C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy\Machine\Registry.pol
    2. Start > run > cmd (as admin)
    3. Gpedit.msc
    4. Below administrative templates change a (not matter which) setting and then revert it. This will trigger the creation of a new registry.pol file
    5. gpupdate /force
    6. Gpo’s should process correctly now

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 29, 2016 2:37 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, July 01, 2016 9:13 AM