none
New Resource added in Project Pro 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• When I open the PWA Enterprise Pool in Project Pro 2013, I'd like to add a new Resource that is associated with an already created User (in Office 365).  I can add the Resource but I can't enter anything in the User Logon Account, therefore not associating the Resource with the User.

Is there a way to associate a new Resource with a User within Project Pro?  Or do I need to do this in 2 steps:

1) Create the new Resource in Project Pro

2) Associate with a User in PWA

I do know that I can create the Resource and associate with a User in 1 step in PWA.  I just want to see if I can do this the way I described above.

Thanks,

Jean

Monday, February 11, 2013 8:56 PM

Answers

All replies

• You should be able to do this where you created the user. Within the page where you edit the user info you should be able to specify if the user is also a resource.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Monday, February 11, 2013 9:56 PM
  • Hi Brian,

Thanks for the reply.  You're right that I can create a user in PWA and specify that the user is also a resource.  However, I am really trying to see if I can do this in the scenario I described:

Creating the Resource within Project Pro and associating the Resource with a User from within Project Pro - all in 1 step within Project Pro.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks,

Jean

Monday, February 11, 2013 10:50 PM
  • You can but not from within Pro. You can go to Manage Resources and add a resource to the pool and just like you can specify that your user can be a resource, you can specify if your resource can login as a user

But you cannot just open your project and create a resource in your project and have it be a user. At that point the resource would not even be in the enterprise pool. It would be a local resource only in that project.

Brian Kennemer - Project MVP
    DeltaBahn Senior Architect
    endlessly obsessing about Project Server…so that you don’t have to.
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Monday, February 11, 2013 11:41 PM
  • I am opening the Enterprise Resource Pool in MS Project Professional first.  Then adding resources to the Enterprise Res Pool in Project Pro.  So, not a local resource.

The issue is that we have a screenshot that shows adding Resources in Proj Pro the way I described in my original question and being able to type data into the User Logon screen.  I can't duplicate it and so that's why I'm asking the question.

Try doing what I described in PWA / Proj Pro 2013 and let me know what you find.

Thanks,

Jean

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 1:16 AM
  • Hi Jean

This was possible in 2010 but is not possible in 2013.

There are a couple of implications to this.  In 2010 you could construct a resource pool in Excel with login details, etc., which you could paste into Project before saving to the resource pool, creating resources and users in one pass.  The other is the authenticating system now controls the resource name so when you add credentials to a resource in PWA it may well change the resource name.

rgds

Mike

Mike Mahoney

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:18 PM
  • Thanks Mike.  I understand what you're saying.  What we can't figure out is the following - while we were creating our training, we created the following screenshot:

PWA Screenshot - Adding Resources in Project Pro

We can't figure out how we got this screenshot from Project Pro - showing that we entered data in the User Logon field.  It's baffling us.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:49 PM
  • Hi Jean

When connected to a project server this column and button on form are disabled, but if you were running under the computer account (not connected to a project server) you can enter anything you like. Perhaps you saved a plan offline then opened it this way.

rgds

Mike

Mike Mahoney

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 4:33 PM
  • Thanks Mike.  Yes, what you said makes sense but we haven't been able to duplicate this.  It's just baffling. 

Thanks,

Jean

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:31 PM
  • We will have some more documentation around this shortly Jean and Mike - we do have a registry key to unlock the User Logon column for those scenarios where it might be useful.

Best regards,

Brian.

Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page

Saturday, February 16, 2013 9:16 PM
    Owner
  • Gary Chefetz has just done a blog on this:

http://www.projectserverhelp.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=205

rgds

Mike

Mike Mahoney

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 11:26 AM