Windows Steady State and Comprise's SAM RRS feed

• Question

• I am curious if there are any libraries using Windows Steady State successfully with Comprise's SAM Time Management and Print Recovery software. I had problems getting SAM services to load on the older MS SCT and dropped it in favor of the even older PAC tool. I'd like to update my public machines running SAM with SS but I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone had any issues with it. Thanks in advance!

Phil
    Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:30 PM

Answers

• Our company takes care of a two branch system that uses SAM and Steady State.  There are two new systems that use SS and the rest of them use the old (first/second generation) SCT tool.

With SAM and SS, you need to make sure that the following option is NOT CHECKED when you apply restrictions:

Windows Restrictions Tab --> General Restrictions > UN-Check "Allow only programs in the Program Files and Windows folders to run"

If you do not un-check this, the printing and sam stuff will not start correctly/at all.  That is the only known issue that we are aware of.  Your mileage may vary!

Good luck!
    Friday, January 18, 2008 10:35 PM
  •  T802 wrote:

I having problem with user saving data on the desktop. is there a feature to lock the desktop? I'm running SS and SAM, when SAM end the session, it does not logg off user. therefore, all datas from previous user still there. Please help....

There is an item you can check or uncheck in the Windows Restrictions section -  "Allow users to save to desktop" - it's near the bottom.  Make sure that is selected for whatever option you want.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 10:46 PM

All replies

• Hi Phil,

What features you would like to use from SCT or SS?

I would like to suggest testing SS with Smart Access Manager(SAM) on one machine before deploy this to all computers. If there is any update on your test, please feel free to post back.

I just installed SAM on my solo test machine. SteadyState is working properly now. However, it seems I need more time to learn how to use SAM, and make further tests with it. 

Best Regards,

Friday, January 18, 2008 4:09 AM
  • I having problem with user saving data on the desktop. is there a feature to lock the desktop? I'm running SS and SAM, when SAM end the session, it does not logg off user. therefore, all datas from previous user still there. Please help....

Friday, January 18, 2008 6:15 PM
  • Our company takes care of a two branch system that uses SAM and Steady State.  There are two new systems that use SS and the rest of them use the old (first/second generation) SCT tool.

With SAM and SS, you need to make sure that the following option is NOT CHECKED when you apply restrictions:

Windows Restrictions Tab --> General Restrictions > UN-Check "Allow only programs in the Program Files and Windows folders to run"

If you do not un-check this, the printing and sam stuff will not start correctly/at all.  That is the only known issue that we are aware of.  Your mileage may vary!

Good luck!
    Friday, January 18, 2008 10:35 PM
  •  T802 wrote:

I having problem with user saving data on the desktop. is there a feature to lock the desktop? I'm running SS and SAM, when SAM end the session, it does not logg off user. therefore, all datas from previous user still there. Please help....

There is an item you can check or uncheck in the Windows Restrictions section -  "Allow users to save to desktop" - it's near the bottom.  Make sure that is selected for whatever option you want.
    Friday, January 18, 2008 10:46 PM
  • Shawn,
         SpurtSpankers comments about leaving the "Allow only programs in the program folder to run" was what had to be done in the older SCT software. But leaving that option unchecked supposedly opened up other loopholes, is that true? You stated that you are running SAM with SS with no problems? Using the older tool, unless that option was unchecked, SAM wouldn't load into memory at all. Do you have that option unchecked or no? Don't mean to jump the gun, just curious. Haven't tested it on one pc yet,(thanks, I usually do that before deploying anything to the rest of the bunch) but that's only because I don't have a pc to test it on 

Thanks,

Phil

Thursday, January 24, 2008 7:00 PM
  •  SpurtSpanker wrote:

I think SpurtSpanker's suggestion is referring to SteadyState. We can also wait for his confirmation.

I had installed SAM on my computer, however, I haven't configure it any more. It seems it requires more device to continue. Thus, I cannot test it further. However, I have no problem when using other user accounts, which had been setup before and with High Restriction configured. I also understand that disable this restriction (or any other one) may not be a good manner. However if it stops SAM, we may have to disable it to let SAM go.

If there is any feedback, feel free to post back.

Regards,

Friday, January 25, 2008 7:11 AM
  • Phil

We use SS in our 8 branch library system on machines using Sam on pc's using XP and Vista. We do this successfully except for a few minor issues which we live with because of the type of enviroment our Library has to operate in. How ever we have not found a solution to prevent Limewire and similiar Peer to Peer programs from being installed on our computers and remaining there even after a restart or complete shutdown and startup. Since limewire doesnt require restart after installation we know it can be installed but why it remains after a pc restart we have not solved yet. We are evaluating version 2.5 for any help there in this area. We would like to resolve this without the addition of another program  being installed. If you have found a solution within Windows Steady State it would be greatly appreciated if you could share it in this forum.

Thanks

Dan

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 3:44 PM
  • I have seen a lot of printer problems.. I don't know if and what is the cause. Sorry
    Thursday, April 9, 2009 11:37 PM