none
Folder redirection: Local documents lost after enabling

Question

• Hello,

after enabling the folder redirection for one user, I experienced a data loss: All local documents were overwritten with the documents on the mapped server folder.

We managed to get the data back, but I'm not entirely sure why this problem exists. 

Before this, we enabled it for several other users, without having issues at all.

So, how can it happen that the online folder overwrites my local folder after enabling the folder redirection?

My guess is the setting "Move the contents of Documents to the new location", is this possible?

Thanks in advance and best regards.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    Please share us the operating system which the user is using and the detail policy setting you have configured.
    As far as I know, if you have Windows 7 with folder redirection enabled with the “Move contents to new location” option enabled and you configure a new UNC path for redirection. This new path is simply a variation of the path the server that actually points to the exact same location, for example \\servername\share to \\DFSNAME\Share . Then when the computer tries to moves the contents of folder to the new location, it deletes what it thinks is the old (same) location and thus the user’s files are deleted.
    So to prevent this from happening in Windows there is a Group Policy setting called Verify old and new Folder Redirection targets point to the same share before redirecting that checks if the new and old locations are the same before moving the files, please enable it and apply KB2799904 hotfix on the computer, you could see the details from: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2799904

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:23 AM
  • Dear Wendy,

thank you for your answer.

The OS is Windows 10 in this particular case. 

We DON'T have the option "Move contents to the new location" enabled. 

Any clues why it still happens?

Regards,

Phillip

Tuesday, May 03, 2016 7:07 AM
  • Hi Phillip,
    Please check if the issue happened on multiple users or just the specific account. You may change another account to have a test and see it.
    If it only happened one user, please have a try reset this user profile and test again.

Regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, May 06, 2016 1:32 AM
  • Hi Wendy,

thank you. 

The issue happened to multiple users. AND test accounts.

Regards,
    Phillip

Monday, May 09, 2016 1:09 PM